opinions wanted....

D

dkruks

I stated on FB that I was looking for a food grade 55 gallon drum, and my father in -law called me and asked why I needed it...I told him and he told me that on his farm he has many 55 gallon drums but really can't remember what was in them...one inparticular he told me has just been used for a rain barrel he would guess at least for the last 15 years...most likely it's original use would have been for oil or a chemical of some sort...

I think i know what you are all going to say, but after 15 years of being a rain barrel, would the oil or chemical still pose a problem after a good hot burn out?

thanks,
Dave

I think you'll be surprised at the answers. Most will say, burn it out really good and use it...

I'd feel better knowing what wa in it first. Was it oil (no big deal after burning) or insecticide?

with 15 years of water, it's probably pretty rusty. i'd call and ask him before you make the drive. i'd hate to go pick it up, see it's all rusty, give it a hot burn and have it falling apart or too far gone to clean...

Back