A question about shoulders... please..

SteveT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Pork shoulders that is....

I found pork shoulders at Costco...two six pounders to a pack. The problem is, that even at six pounds, I think that would be a months supply of pulled pork for my wife and I. So, the question is, is it ok to cut them down into 3 pound sections? Or would this effect how they cook while smoking. And...since my son can't eat pork, I got him a couple of Tri-tips, so, it seems to me that cutting the shoulder into 3 pound sections and smoking a section of shoulder and a Tri-tip would work out perfectly.

Please excuse the dumb question, but have never done a shoulder before....

SteveT

Last edited:
I think you would be better off cooking them whole and then bagging up smaller serving sizes to reheat later and put it in the freezer. If that won't work for some reason, yes, you can cut them down to smaller sizes and cook them. You get more moist pork out of the center from a whole but than a smaller one....however you also bet more bark, so there are upsides as well as downsides.

I think you would be better off cooking them whole and then bagging up smaller serving sizes to reheat later and put it in the freezer.

I think that is your best bet as well...Do you have a Foodsaver vaccusuck machine?

You do realize that your meat will cook down substantially, right? Every time I cook 20 pounds, I cannot believe how fast the stuff goes.

I've found that once you start making some awesome pulled pork some relative, neighbor, co-worker, and or friends will find a way to show up around dinnertime.

Make the whole shoulder and if there is some left over do like the others say and freeze.

Rule of thumb is you will get a little over 50% cooked weight.

You could also cook one and freeze the other one for a later cook.

If you're going to be doing much Q'ing, a Foodsaver is almost a must. You'll be cooking mch more than 2 people can eat, especially if you do packer briskets and butts. The vacuum bags are a good way to reheat the meat. You drop it in hot water and reheat it in the bag.
I have worn out 2 of them myself.

Chuck

Definitely cook and bag.

I bag in 2-2.5# portions. I often break out the scales and weigh the bags. That way I know what's there if I'm giving some to other folks.

When I'm in a hurry I use quart size Ziploc Freezer bags, put in plenty of juice with the pork, and get most of the air out as I'm sealing the bag. This will keep for quite a while.

If I have a lot to bag or I know it'll be frozen a while I'll get out the FoodSaver. This keeps the pork really nice for a long time -- though the only time it stays a "long" time around here is if it falls to bottom of the chest freezer!!

Definitely get yourself a vacuum sealer. It's worth it. Every farkin penny of it. I have some pulled pork vacuum sealed that I cooked quite a while back and I pulled out a bag yesterday, tossed it in boiling water and simmered it for 30 minutes or so and it tasted almost as good as the day I cooked it.

If you start with 12 pounds of meat you'll realistically only probably wind up with 6 pounds when you're done. It'll be a delicious 6 pounds too. Most adults would happily consume 1/3rd-1/2 pound of it so it will go faster than you think.

Past that, the food saver is a decent way to save and reheat it. But don't feel like you need to run out and buy one. Head to walmart and pick up a roll of freezer paper and freezer tape. It isn't quite as handy as dropping a bag into simmering water but it will preserve the meat surprisingly well. Defrost the night before and reheat in a container covered in plastic wrap and you'll still have very delicious leftovers whenever you want them. I almost prefer it to the foodsaver to be honest.

You will be surprised how fast the pork disappears.

We're a small family of three and when I do pulled pork, I make sure to do 2 bone-in butts at 8lbs each and then vacuum seal the leftovers in individual sizes that feeds three of us (10-12 ounces). Since it take so long to smoke the butts I prefer to do it all in one shot and then have a month or two worth of pork on hand in the freezer. It freezes well and we use it for PP sandwiches, nachos, soup, etc. At first it seemed like it would be a lot of meat but as others have said, you'd really be surprised how quick it goes. My friend even uses his on pizza.... Great to have around for a quick meal too – reheats quickly and you can always whip up some slaw really quick : ) Especially great when you have unexpected visitors. Even re-heated it still blows the minds of most non-Qers : )

6# raw = 3# cooked (roughly)

At 6oz a meal that's only four meals for the two of you. I don't think that's an issue unless you all don't eat much in the meat department. Your bbq will hold easily for 5 or so days in the fridge.

Even if 3# of cooked Q is too much, just freeze half of it once it cools. You can use regular 'ol Ziploc bags. Try to eat the frozen Q within 1-2 weeks so freezer burn isn't an issue.

The second 6# butt...just freeze it raw to cook at a later date. Repeat the above procedure.

I cooked a 5# butt earlier this week just for myself. One more meal and it's gone.

I also cook for just two of us and we have no problems going through it even with only having on occasion. Matter of fact I started smoking both at once. Plus as these others folks have said you'll be surprised how many people will want some once they taste it. My wife & I only end up eating 50% of what I cook because the other 50% gets given away to friends 7 family.

Another vote for cook and freeze - at least on one of them, then make buckboard bacon out of the second one.:-D

Back