Dry Heat vs Wet Heat for Competetion level bark.

RE: Chicken skin... ok, maybe crispy is the wrong word.. but NOT rubbery is the goal. I find that some higher heat makes it more tender, instead of chewy. I didnt mean crispy like fried or grilled.

I stopped the water thing several years ago. Have cooked dry ever since, and its worked for me.

And, to comment on the wrapping, and bark comments above. Wrap when you have the color you want in the bark. That has worked for me..

And, chicken skin is a struggle for everyone except the pellet munchers, and the grillers. I do think if the texture, and the flavor, of the chicken meat itself is pleasing. Alot of judges will overlook the skin.

When cooking with moist heat you can get away with heat spikes and higher pit temps. Dry heat
gives you less room for error. I personely like a little room for error. As you can see both work when get the techniques down.

Must you leave the skin on the chicken? I remove the skin before rubbing the chicken then lay the skin on top of the chicken. When chicken is done, just remove the skin and your left with great tasting low fat chicken.

Well, no one can question your success Jim... By the way, congrats on getting on the board.

And Neil, I know some have gone to boneless thigh's, not sure about skinless. Have you tried skinless in competition? Would be interesting to see how the appearance scores were.

I see very little skinless chicken come across the judging tables and most teams are trying for tender skin not crisp.

Kevin Thanks, it's been interesting first ten days on the Board, already getting letters and complaints that folks want to be taken to the Board.
May be a long 3 years.

May be a long 3 years

May? :D

Tim and I shoot for tender but not mushy skin. Let's face it, a LOT of flavor is in the skin. As a judge I try to not let the skin be THE determining factor in a score - but neither tough & gnarly nor mushy will win any points. I've turned in skinless thighs (removed the skin after cooking) and believe it cost me some points - but the skin was mushy and would have hurt anyway.

Boneless is nice but, as a judge, I like to see how the meat comes away from the bone - and as a cook I think the bone helps keep the meat moist.

This thing we do called BBQ is art! Just like any artisan craft the learning is as much a part of the product and the "success". :D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:

I know if skin was a big issue, I would not place in chicken as often as I do. I do make sure the skin has a good flavor, but still I know it comes off in a single bite. which is not very desirable.

And Jim, hang in there... People don't understand that your a volunteer!

I spent the last year and a half on the FBA board, and did not run again for 2005 because it became too much time wise. I applaud your desire and effort, and I voted for you. Now I need to send you my agenda :wink:

Kevin
I'm a glutton for punishment, I was on the board of the PNWBA for 2 years and last year started a new group WBBQA which I'm the president, add the next three years on the KCBS board and platter is getting full. Let the agendas come! :lol:

I guess you are a glutton for punishment... Good luck, I'm sure you will make your impact. Ray made his impact real quick. New blood is always good.

Back