• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Speaking of advertising, we did a little odd advertising today even though we're not open yet. There was a local pumpkin race, so obviously, my daughter and I made a pig pumpkin and slapped the logo on it and the family wore the shirts. We actually ended up winning for the cutest pumpkin and had a lot of people and even the newspaper asking about the restaurant, so it was worth it. Still bummed that my engineering skills didn't pan out and we didn't win the race though.

10393713026_b197c88e1d_o.jpg

She is a happy little girl!!! I can see she is well taken care of.

I was in biz since 1986. all I can say is advertise advertise advertise, in that
order, LOL, it doesn't have to be expensive advertising either, what you done was a very good form.
One of my better forms, was to leave one biz card hooked with a little piece
of fun tac "you can buy it at walmart" stuck it anywhere it could be seen and not get in trouble. That little card brought in a lot of biz.

It might have been a little more expensive, but I aways made my own cards. That way I could tweak them how and when ever I wanted and didn't have to go through 250 or 500 pre made cards, not liking what was on them and I was always changing things up, so it worked out good for me.

I also would buy banners for church functions, little league ball diamonds
And things like that, people see that stuff and will react to it.
Like I sad in another post, I, being new to this area, have to read all the signs.

Hope this helps, it sure did for me!

Oh yeah, I definitely won in that regard. It was a blast.

And I just received the call I've been waiting for. The smoker is going to be delivered at 11 am on Thursday. One of the last pieces of the puzzle. Finally!
Sweet! I'm sure it's in here, but what are you going with?

NM...I found it...Southern Pride 300. Looks sweet!

Sweet! I'm sure it's in here, but what are you going with?

Southern Pride 300. Doing a through the wall installation. Costly setup, but I value sleep and being able to focus on the customers and the business. At least that's how I imagine it working out in my head... :wacko:

So whats left after the smoker? Open date set? Have you thought about takening some highlights of this thread to write a article to base a interview with a local newspaper or blog guy about your opening. If you do end up doing that I would not mention all the delays of the workers and how hard certian people were to work with..they are all future customers now

So whats left after the smoker? Open date set? Have you thought about takening some highlights of this thread to write a article to base a interview with a local newspaper or blog guy about your opening. If you do end up doing that I would not mention all the delays of the workers and how hard certian people were to work with..they are all future customers now

After the smoker, just finishing up most of the cosmetic renovations inside, inspections, etc. No open date quite yet, but I am planning on having a few friends come on November 2nd to hopefully break the smoker in with a trial run. If all goes well, hopefully we can open not long after that.

And I may do some sort of summary about everything after things get up and running. And you're right, I won't be naming names. :mrgreen:

Speaking of the smoker, it came today as promised and we just finished putting it in. Just need to seal up the gap around it in the wall, get the roof built over it, and wire/connect everything up.

Pretty exciting to finally have it.

hwev52.jpg

Dang, that thing looks SERIOUS! I see the turet and hatch on top...the main gun must be on the other side. ;)

Wow - holy crap and Wow!
Very nice. Once you get it going - would love to see how it is operated..

Thanks for the update and the pic!!!!
I can't wait to try some of the fine smoked goods that you prepare in that beast.

Was having a real bad day, but that sure made me smile, thanks

Having absolutely no experience in the restaurant business (except for eating in them), let me give you some advice... (you haven't received any advice before now, have you?) :roll:

(You know, I'm like the people who have no kids telling you how to raise yours. :becky: )

Anyway, a BBQ place opened near me about six months ago. Their food is not bad, but the people that work there *always* look like their dog just died. Everyone (even the owner) just looks sad. So, I go there occasionally, but I prefer to give my business to local restaurants that seem happy to see me.

So, all I'm sayin' is: a little good customer service goes a long way! I hope you can find some friendly folks to make you successful! :thumb:

Glad to hear you are getting closer. I'll be looking for the opening day.

The light at the end of the tunnel. I can see it!

Construction basically wrapped up today. Just two small things left. We just need to hard wire the smoker (so that no idiot kids come by in the middle of the night and think it would be funny to unplug it), and get the roof curb so that we can mount the exhaust fan for the smoker.

Today the pit got hooked up to the gas, but that was an unexpected setback. Since the existing gas line was really close to where we put the pit I figured it would be easy peasy. Wrong. Four hours of work and about $600 later is what it took. Ouch.

And one more big setback today. I was under the impression from the sellers that the propane that was left in the tank was included in the sale. Never got it in writing in the sales contract though, and the propane company came out to hook up the tank and informed me that they bought back the 700 or so gallons left in the tank from the sellers, so I'm going to be billed for it. Ouch. Lesson learned.

Otherwise, my wife took the rest of this week and next week off so starting tomorrow it's going to be some aggressive cleaning, priming, and painting. Hopefully the dining room will be 100% finished by Friday.

And on Saturday, I'm actually having the some of the "public" come whether we're done or not. We are part of a county-wide road rally scavenger hunt thing for Halloween so teams of people will be stumbling upon the restaurant as part of their list of destinations. So, they will be required to eat a pulled pork slider before they can get their next clue. :mrgreen: Even if the pit isn't ready at the restaurant, I'll just smoke up some butts on a portable smoker in the parking lot or something, but either way, I'm serving food on Saturday, dammit!

Then hopefully next week I can get the health inspector in and all the other inspections done, get the Coke guy in for the fountain machine, start interviewing potential employees, etc. We'll see.

Fingers crossed we're in the home stretch. This has been an incredibly trying process.

And for those who didn't see it on facebook, the completed roof/porch type structure:

i4frtf.jpg

Nice looking unit ya got there, but I have to ask, do you think that header is strong enough to hold up that roof? LOL, just trikin.

Best to ya get er goin, make some money.

Back