• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Don't be like John D. from Oklahoma

Great post

I've fallen victim to many of the same trappings (rubs, different charcoal, new cookers, etc.). Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

I was a homebrewer for many years and stopped for a couple of years because I was getting worse instead of better. I've vowed to get back into it and begin at the beginning.

I agree with the K.I.S.S. premise. Not to say I believe anything beyond Salt and Pepper is a sin, but I think consistent results come from consistent actions being taken, with minor variations. It's how one gets good at anything near as I can tell.

I got another slew of appliances to get in my bi-annual budget splurge, but once that's done I'm going to get another cooker, and work on that one. Really vexed between a P.B.C... or a Keg/Ceramic cooker. Gonna have to make a post on that when I get close to the time to pull the trigger on that.

Way I bake... I think I'm leaning towards the Keg/Ceramic style. But those P.B.C.'s look like a lot of fun...

I walked in those same moccasins for 25 yrs. then one day I tripped cracked my coconut and realized that the lessons I learned around Grandads pit and keepin my dad company fetchin beers produced some of the best Q I ever ate. Needless to say the G-man had to pay extra at the scales from all the stuff I trashed trying to make top shelf BBQ, Rubs & sauces, Gizmos of all sorts sent it all to the dump and reset my program. Now High tech luxury is a $5 oven thermo a $4 cow poker and allot of excellent BBQ. Keep on one day you'll get there too.

Thanks for the timely thoughts, I can see myself on the path to Oklahoma... I need to document each cook to help me set my base of knowledge. I see that Evernote is one solution - are there others? Thank heavens for the Brethern!

I think documentation it over-rated, there, I said it again.

I see more and more of the new guys talking about documentation and not getting the results they want. Learn to feel your way through BBQ. You WILL end up a better cook.

For years, baking escaped me, especially pie crusts. And I had a great resource, Grandpa Sahara, my uncles dad, who learned to bake from a pastry chef while locked away in a WW2 concentration camp. When he returned, he ran a successful breakfast counter in Fresno for 25 years. And it was his pie. I finally got a chance to bake with him and noticed he was running the flour through his hands. I asked what he was doing. He said:

"you cannot learn to bake from recipes, nor will you ever be a good baker if you assume everything will always be the same. I am feeling the moisture in the flour, from this, I will know how much water to add, learn from the recipe, but, feel what you are doing"...

...and so we cooked, pies crust, cookies even bread, and he rarely measure, feeling the dough along the way, I learned a lot about using my hands, and my eyes, even my ears, to cook. When I asked him some years later, just before he died, why everyone else said you must follow recipes he said:

"people have to be shown how to cook, not everyone wants to learn that way, they want it to be easy, so they buy books, and follow recipes and believe, because the experts tell them so, that this is how you do it. But, if the air is humid, the recipe changes, if the mountain is high, the recipe changes, if it is summer, the recipe changes, you will never be a good cook, until you learn to cook, not read"

So, keep cooking, and pay attention to how it feels, looks and sounds.

I think documentation it over-rated, there, I said it again.

I see more and more of the new guys talking about documentation and not getting the results they want. Learn to feel your way through BBQ. You WILL end up a better cook.

For years, baking escaped me, especially pie crusts. And I had a great resource, Grandpa Sahara, my uncles dad, who learned to bake from a pastry chef while locked away in a WW2 concentration camp. When he returned, he ran a successful breakfast counter in Fresno for 25 years. And it was his pie. I finally got a chance to bake with him and noticed he was running the flour through his hands. I asked what he was doing. He said:

"you cannot learn to bake from recipes, nor will you ever be a good baker if you assume everything will always be the same. I am feeling the moisture in the flour, from this, I will know how much water to add, learn from the recipe, but, feel what you are doing"...

...and so we cooked, pies crust, cookies even bread, and he rarely measure, feeling the dough along the way, I learned a lot about using my hands, and my eyes, even my ears, to cook. When I asked him some years later, just before he died, why everyone else said you must follow recipes he said:

"people have to be shown how to cook, not everyone wants to learn that way, they want it to be easy, so they buy books, and follow recipes and believe, because the experts tell them so, that this is how you do it. But, if the air is humid, the recipe changes, if the mountain is high, the recipe changes, if it is summer, the recipe changes, you will never be a good cook, until you learn to cook, not read"

So, keep cooking, and pay attention to how it feels, looks and sounds.

Bing-farking-go right there. :clap2: I've been (hopefully) developing my instincts and intuition so that I will be able to cook anywhere under any circumstances without worry.

Don't get me wrong - gadgets can be fun and I will definitely geek out on an involved recipe from time to time, but my go to approach is "season it, smoke it 'till it's tender and then eat it" hopefully while relying mainly on my senses to tell me what the fire, conditions etc. are like for cooking. IMO the best thing to be looking at while cooking is the food and the cooker as opposed to devices and pieces of paper. I've been let down by devices, be they pit temp controllers or therms, so I don't like to count on them.

I'm pretty sure my approach, a lot of which is informed by my laziness, may keep me from getting the best possible result at times, but overall I have fun and like the food so I'm basically happy about the whole deal. If it isn't fun, I'm not gonna do it.

LOL, keep things simple my friend... i think you're on the right track. Worst thing you can do is constantly over think and analyze things. Meat, fire and smoke.

Back