Kcbs bod agenda 2-05-10

Merl

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The agenda for the KCBS BOD meeting of 2-5-10 (Friday) at 7:00 p.m. has been posted.
This includes many important issues.
Merl Whitebook
Secretary - KCBS

Change to Rule 6
Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, charcoal or propane gas.

That should be an interesting discussion.

Several of the suggestions dont seem to reflect the feedback I was hearing... interesting. I know I was still on my way to the hotel while the meeting was going on, so I didn't hear all the input.... but many of these requested changes dont seem to mesh with accounts I heard after the meeting. How are the recommendations arrived at?

Propane gas? Seriously?
IMHO that would be moving KCBS in the wrong direction - away from their roots and the tradition of BBQ.

I do have to say I agree with the chicken rule change recommendation, not sure why they would want to delay implementation for a year though.
The trend to (unnaturally) perfect little thighs has bothered me, i would welcome the requirement to submit both white & dark meat.

the rest of it seems innocuous.

I like the restrictions on size for ancillary categories. Saw many times where it took two people to carry a desert that looked like it was on a Food Network challenge.

Not a fan of the chicken rule. There is no rule that limits the type of chicken you can turn in currently. To me this reminds me of all the garnish talk.

several of the suggestions dont seem to reflect the feedback i was hearing... Interesting. I know i was still on my way to the hotel while the meeting was going on, so i didn't hear all the input.... But many of these requested changes dont seem to mesh with accounts i heard after the meeting. How are the recommendations arrived at?

exactly!

What's the deal with finding out how many bounce-back emails? According to a post on the other forum it was exclaimed that there was a plan in place if that were to occur......obviously, THAT didn't happen.

What I liked was the change of wording for identifiable .

I've felt that this rule needed to be changed or clarified, this is good. But why no change on Rule # 10 about parting? You can part chix, ribbs & brisky - why not pork?

Just my $0.02

p.s. - propane? That should be interesting to hear.

I like the suggestion for rule 15. What I read is don't worry about 6 pieces at the time of appearance. Let it all shake out at the end if the 6th judge doesn't get a piece. Essentially, it is saying don't worry about the number of pieces you can see, worry about the number you get. Makes sense to me.

Oh and Paul Kirk - No Report. Welcome back, buddy!!!

I guess my request to announce committee members, needs, and openings through KCBS.us didn't make the agenda.

Several of the suggestions dont seem to reflect the feedback I was hearing... interesting. I know I was still on my way to the hotel while the meeting was going on, so I didn't hear all the input.... but many of these requested changes dont seem to mesh with accounts I heard after the meeting. How are the recommendations arrived at?

And why should they reflect the joke of a meeting that is held at the banquet each year? Do you think even .1% of the membership was represented? Hold it in a hotel with no dial in or Web conferencing capabilities for those who aren't traveling to the banquet location. Hold it on Friday afternoon when some people who are going to attend the banquet are still traveling. What kind of a representation should be expected with a recipe like that?

#1 recommendation on the meeting agenda should be how to get quality rules feedback from the membership. I'm betting that there aren't hundreds of cook teams begging to cook white meat chicken. While I'm on the topic of chicken, most teams will tell you that it is probably the hardest to figure out and yet the easiest KCBS meat to cook. I think the entry offers its own set of challenges unique to the other three regardless if you are turning in thighs, breasts, wings or lollypops legs (which has always surprised me that it isn't sculpting). I'm going to start a "save the breasts" campaign.

Yeah, that rules meeting is a joke. Always has been and probably always will be. There's got to be a better way to do this. Web sites? Hell, I don't know, but getting feedback from a group of people who in no way represent a true cross-section of the membership is ridiculous!

So... they want to allow propane but not electricity? If we're gonna bastardize KCBS, why not go all the way?

Rule 10 again... chit! The sugestion in Philly was to add the words "prior to cooking" after parted. That's why non-cooks shouldn't be making the rules.

"I would like to propose we find out how many bounced emails we had, follow-up with a letter to those members in order to get current emails and update our database. "

Really? Now??? Why not send out a test email message and check for bounces back in like September or October so you have three months to fix things? Awesome forsight!

And yeah, let's all go out and grab six farkin' whole chickens to cook to get six pieces! :roll:

Oh and Paul Kirk - No Report. Welcome back, buddy!!!

You think 1,006 KCBS members are getting their money's worth, Todd?

And why should they reflect the joke of a meeting that is held at the banquet each year? Do you think even .1% of the membership was represented? Hold it in a hotel with no dial in or Web conferencing capabilities for those who aren't traveling to the banquet location. Hold it on Friday afternoon when some people who are going to attend the banquet are still traveling. What kind of a representation should be expected with a recipe like that?

#1 recommendation on the meeting agenda should be how to get quality rules feedback from the membership. I'm betting that there aren't hundreds of cook teams begging to cook white meat chicken. While I'm on the topic of chicken, most teams will tell you that it is probably the hardest to figure out and yet the easiest KCBS meat to cook. I think the entry offers its own set of challenges unique to the other three regardless if you are turning in thighs, breasts, wings or lollypops legs (which has always surprised me that it isn't sculpting). I'm going to start a "save the breasts" campaign.
I'm in!!

Yeah, let's require the teams to cook 3 whole chickens... Nothing like adding expense to the Cook Teams in today's economy... I am ok with requiring white and dark meat, but let the cooks determine what they are going to cook.

What is next, telling the Teams that we have to cook 4 Butts,4 Racks of Ribs and 4 Briskets ??

So I guess I can do pulled chicken or chicken salad to get a nice mix of white and dark.

Seriously though, teams would probably do one or two breast and slice it into six pieces. I am pretty tired of all the whining about parsley and thighs. There is no rule that says you have to do either so quit b!tchin about it. What's next baby backs and spares in the same box? /rant

Lets allow propane. No problem there and it opens up more potential sponsors.:biggrin:

Chicken rule change is just plain dumb. :icon_pissed If you must have white and dark then you need 6 pieces of each in the box. So get bigger boxes so we can have good appearance or 2 boxes - now that would be fun for TC's. Any caterers out there know how hard it is to please a buffet customer when they want 50-50 white and dark. Lots of PO'd customers. I try to steer customers away from it.

Pork comes off and satys off. Want 2 temps cook 2 butts. This whole discussion has been ridiculous at best. And don't say we part Brisket and put it back on. You can ccok flats, packers so parting is legal. the rule calls for a whole butt not pieces so parting is illegal. :evil:

If you require whole chickens then no parting and putting back on the pit. And in a year we'll be cooking whole hog and taking out ribs and butts for turn-in. What next. Somebody that wrote up the suggested rule changes was on mind altering products and I want them to share with all of us.

Email the BOD today with your comments. Some have already left for the conference so email all. I've sent my comments and even had 3 replies so far.

Yeah, let's require the teams to cook 3 whole chickens... Nothing like adding expense to the Cook Teams in today's economy... I am ok with requiring white and dark meat, but let the cooks determine what they are going to cook.

What is next, telling the Teams that we have to cook 4 Butts,4 Racks of Ribs and 4 Briskets ??

In my area whole chickens per pound are cheaper than individual pieces per pound. I would save money by cooking three chickens to get six thighs.

After awhile someone would decide that chickens always start walking with their right foot so they turn in only left thighs and now I am cooking 6 chickens to get all left thighs. But now I want to make sure they are are all close to the same size so I am cooking 12 thighs, so I can see how this could get out of hand. :shock::-D:wink::wink::wink:

It would be more expensive if they put in a rule that we have to turn in white and dark meat without saying we have to cook whole chickens. Since chicken wings have fat and for the most part breast doesnt, we would all end up turning in wings. Now we have a wing and thigh contest. Sigh.

Back