Trying to plan out a Brisket

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan out timing for a 12 lb briskie. I want it done about 7 tomorrow night. I was thinking about having it start about midnight tonight which give me 18 hours plus 1 for rest. Do you think that is giving me too much or not enough time? Also I have a KCBS judging class from about 9-3 tomorrow. Would you think it's safe to leave? I'm using a UDS that holds pretty darn steady, but it something would happen I will never know.

in my WSM with a 12# if i put it on by midnight 1 oclock it is usually in the cooler a little after 1-2pm at the latest. I normally run it about 230-245 through out the night with the minion method so I can sleep. I think that is plenty of time if it gets done early toss it in the cooler till time to eat. I do know that the UDS cooks quicker than most other cookers. Having said that I have yet to cook a brisket in my UDS.

I normally estimate a 1 and a quarter per pound as a rough timing for brisket at 225-250*. However as the old saying goes do it by feel and not time. If it gets done sooner the cooler method does extremely well and you will not have to worry about leaving the UDS unattended. Don't know if I would leave any cooker unattended, but I have a huge respect for fire, so that is totally up to your comfort level.

The only thing about the long cooler holding is that it has affected my butts. I think if i leave a butt in the cooler for more than a couple hours it almost makes it hammy. Does that makes sense? I didn't know if it would do this for a brisket or not?

I agree with the unattended fire. I don't want to do it, but its my only chance to smoke this brisket.

Back