Smoking a Leg of Lamb for the first time

T

TraegerNewbie

I am looking to smoke a leg of lamb on our Traeger. I have never cooked a leg of lamb and have no clue how to season it or what kind of mop to make for it. I have done different cuts of lamb, chops and steaks, but this is a huge piece of meat and I want to put a lot of flavor into it.

If it's bone in I personally would take the bone out and trim it up it's not hard to do. I'm sure you can find it on You Tube or Google it. What you want is a flat even thickness all the way across. Then rub with evoo,garlic,rosemary and salt and pepper. Then I would grill it. You can add smoke by throwing wood on the coals. DO NOT OVERCOOK LAMB!!

Bill is the expert on lamb, I think mine is better.:laugh:

I like to keep it simple, rub with garlic and rosemary, cook low and slo, and be prepared to wind up in lamb heaven.:thumb:

Thanks Newbie, I was just going to start a thread about lamb when I saw you beat me too it, gracias. I have a leg in the freezer that my aunt gave me. Her kids are in the 4H so I'm interested to see how it compares to store bought. It goes on the smoker on Sunday! Good luck with your cook.

leg of lamb was the first thing I ever cooked on my first smoker. IMO it is easier than a lot of other meats because it doesn't get dried out or tough as easily if the temp in the chamber exceeds the target range (the meat however cannot exceed the target temp). In fact I finish mine off with some direct heat over coals to get the bark I am looking for. I usually do a rub consisting mainly of dried rosemary, thyme, Himalayan pink salt, various peppercorns, a few dried chilis all ground up to a fine powder using my mortar and pestle. Then I rub it on the leg the night before. Depending on the mood I am in I may also cover the leg with mustard before putting it on the smoker. That also gives a nice bark. In fact I am getting one ready for tomorrow right now. I will be trying to inject lamb for the first time. Going to use a modified version of thirdeye's injection from the lamb injection thread. If you go the mustard route you def do not need a mop. Also am going to try adding some sweetness today. I have never added anything sweet to lamb before so I am interested to see how it will turn out. I also recommend sandwiches with it the day after. Blue or goat cheese and some onions on french bread.

Relax. A leg of lamb is good with just salt and pepper. It has it's own flavor.

leg of lamb is my fav on smoker

Lots of good advice here. Nothing takes the smoke like lamb. It is awesome. Bone it out, you can then leave it whole or take the hind end off as a roast for another time. Rub salt, pepper, rosemary, oil and garlic inside and out. Roll up with butcher twine. Can't go wrong. Do not not not over cook.

Back