Competition Chicken Prep Help

Mutha Chicken BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guy's,

Looking for ways to improve my chicken and overall scores. Here is how I prep my chicken, Can anybody tell me better ways to improve on the overall look? Or if there is a better way to trim chicken?

CompetitionChicken001.jpg

CompetitionChicken002.jpg

CompetitionChicken003.jpg

CompetitionChicken004.jpg

CompetitionChicken005.jpg

CompetitionChicken006.jpg

CompetitionChicken007.jpg

CompetitionChicken008.jpg

CompetitionChicken009.jpg

CompetitionChicken010.jpg

CompetitionChicken011.jpg

CompetitionChicken012.jpg

I don't trim as much of the meat as you, yet I heard that it is good for consistant size.I do the skin pretty much the same way, but I don't marinate. I Somehow, chicken is my most consistant entry, yet I hardly eat it. Go figure.

I think the pieces should be more uniform in size, and maybe a bit more round, but as long as they're all the same, that's the biggest part.

There might be a few tag ends left on in the pics especially at the end of the bones. Nothing that can burn or crisp up and be "crunchy or not tender" should be left. Otherwise it looks good to me.

Looks to me like jumpin jims method with italian dressing.

I use Tyson enhanced so I don't need to brine and have good moisture content after cooking. Do a test with your Perdue and Tyson at 10-15 % enhanced. Or maybe try brining before doing the italian dressing. You should have time.

I use Tyson enhanced so I don't need to brine and have good moisture content after cooking. Do a test with your Perdue and Tyson at 10-15 % enhanced. Or maybe try brining before doing the italian dressing. You should have time.

I believe using enhanced or preseasoned meat used at a contest is grounds for disqualification. I could be wrong.

I believe using enhanced or preseasoned meat used at a contest is grounds for disqualification. I could be wrong.

preseasoned is not allowed nor is brining ahead but buying Tyson chicken is certainly allowed. Now you can't buy lemon pepper chicken, etc but if it's packed in broth that's allowed.

preseasoned is not allowed nor is brining ahead but buying Tyson chicken is certainly allowed. Now you can't buy lemon pepper chicken, etc but if it's packed in broth that's allowed.

Just reread the rules and I stand corrected.

To me those look pretty god and uniform in size. We actually don't trim near that much with our chicken and have been getting fairly consistant appearance scores. To me the shape of the thigh is less important than the finished products appearance like the shine of the sauce and color that type of thing. Do you have any pictures of the finished product? That might help more with critiques.

You are using the wrong rub. :wink:

Seriously though, that looks pretty good to me. Try scrapping some of the excess fat from inside of the skin. Will help the skin render down.

Dan, notice who mentioned the toothpicks. I wouldnt have brought it up. Plowboy makes an outstanding chicken rub called Yardbird rub which I use exclusivly and have had good results with. I posted before the whole page loaded. I didn't know that you had your own blend.

You are using the wrong rub. :wink:

Seriously though, that looks pretty good to me. Try scrapping some of the excess fat from inside of the skin. Will help the skin render down.

How do you do that, unless you take it off the meat.

How do you do that, unless you take it off the meat.

I find that the ends near the knuckles have thicker yellow fat than the rest. I try to scrap as much of that off as I can. A very sharp knife is key. I like using my santuko knife since it has a relatively flat blade and enough height to hold onto. It takes practice. You can actually stretch the skin for more coverage doing this.

Nothing wrong with taking off the skin if you toothpick or tie it back on.

Oh, I was just having fun. Not plugging my product... but I guess I did. :oops:

<EDIT: Spicewine Hen and Heffer Dust is the #1 Rub IN THE WORLD!!! There, I've redeemed myself.>

Hey Dan

Why do you vac seal your chicken? Does it do any better than just bagging it in a zip lock?

To answer your question though, the prep looks good. You can always trim off more meat from the bigger thighs to make them all more uniform.

And whats the story about the tootpicks, anyway? :biggrin:

Hey Dan

Why do you vac seal your chicken? Does it do any better than just bagging it in a zip lock?

To answer your question though, the prep looks good. You can always trim off more meat from the bigger thighs to make them all more uniform.

I do it just because, one time a zip lock leaked and ruined everything in my cooler, then water got into the pork I was trying to marinate.

Hey Dan

I learned that from some guy! I really can't remember where? :cool:

And the whole infamous toothpick, Well that is the stuff of legends! :p

Have you ever tried poultry shears? I trim, lay it down, look at it, trim, lay it down, look at it....give it shot if you have some....

Attachments

• chicken 91005 002.jpg
    chicken 91005 002.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 201
dude thats some nice looking CHX
I wish mine came out half as nice as yours.

Chicken is my worst meat to cook. I dont know why.

Back