• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

Holy crap, this is the funniest thread ever!!! I guess its my turn. Here are the boxes from my first competition. I was so proud of these baby's I posted them on Facebook for everyone to see. Hahah I can't believe no one told me they look FARKING horrible. Can't imagine why I didnt win!

SCChicken.jpg

SCRibs.jpg

SCPork.jpg

SCBrisket.jpg

Two bad boxes from last weekend. 36th brisket and 32 ribs out of 39teams.:icon_blush::doh:

Attachments

• 101_0064.jpg
    101_0064.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,038
  • 101_0062.jpg
    101_0062.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,045
Two bad boxes from last weekend. 36th brisket and 32 ribs out of 39teams.:icon_blush::doh:

I am new to this site and I am entering my first competition in August. I have been barbecuing for about 2 years and your picture of ribs looks good to me. What am I not seeing? What should I know to do and not do for my first entry?

On those two boxes the appearance scores were 7's,8's,9's so the look is not that bad. The problem was in taste and tenderness, the brisket was undercooked and tough and the ribs were undercooked also.:icon_blush: Problem with temps on a new cooker:doh: The key to appearance is to suttle garnish and meat that jumps out and says eat me. Good Luck.

My turn...This was the pork turn in at my first comp.

Pork.jpg
I really like how you highlighted the corners of the box with parsley...kind of reminds me of one of our 1st turn in boxes...except we poured ALL the juice from the foil into the pulled pork.....:bow:.....:roll:

bbq_joplin_2003%20080.jpg

This was from our first ever KCBS contest. This placed 4th. What a hot mess.

normal_bbq_joplin_2003%20086.jpg

What appears to be brisket from the same contest.

LOL...curiosity got the best of me so I did some digging. These are from the first contest I took pics at, 3rd contest overall in 2005. I got a chuckle out of these, especially when I looked back and saw the brisket actually got a call. For those who are wondering, the brisket is the 3rd pic.:confused:

What a mess....:bow:

Attachments

• DSC01023.jpg
    DSC01023.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 2,190
  • DSC01021.jpg
    DSC01021.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,187
  • DSC01025.jpg
    DSC01025.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,187
First time putting pork in a box. My "plan" didn't work out, and then I ran out of time and had to turn in something...

Attachments

• BBQPork.gif
    BBQPork.gif
    234.3 KB · Views: 2,167
This is a great thread. Instead of looking at all the boxes to see how to do it, I get to see how not to.

Thanks.

Battle of the BBQ Brethren 2010 - Team: I like smoke and lightning, Category: Breakfast sausage.

Attachments

• 514.jpg
    514.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,042
  • 516.jpg
    516.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,036
O M G!
Ok...the smiley-faced pork turn-in had me damn near spittin Pepsi all over my computer! I sadly do not have any photos of my turn-ins...otherwise you'd be seeing some of my handy work..hahahah!!

Very funny!

Lynnae

O M G!
Ok...the smiley-faced pork turn-in had me damn near spittin Pepsi all over my computer! I sadly do not have any photos of my turn-ins...otherwise you'd be seeing some of my handy work..hahahah!!

Very funny!

Lynnae

...oh but I do!

Ok, folks. I have a Winner. Not in my category of course, but in WORST TURN IN EVAR!

Got roped into the comp at the last second, worked alone and was at the end of a 30 hour shift. It wast an accomplishment, just cooking all 4 categories and making turn in. Didn't even take pix of the butt.

4996533361_9230881dbe_z.jpg

4997141052_80d17ef980_z.jpg

Ok, folks. I have a Winner. Not in my category of course, but in WORST TURN IN EVAR!

Got roped into the comp at the last second, worked alone and was at the end of a 30 hour shift. It wast an accomplishment, just cooking all 4 categories and making turn in. Didn't even take pix of the butt.

Did anybody say anything to you about the brisket box being upside down?

I would eat those ribs.

Actually the boxes had the spots for portions. If you look at the Ribs (cough, cough) they are resting on the poertion area, LOL.

So on the Brisket I just turned the box upside down. This was a work sponsored event for United Way and there were only about 20 teams. Rules were not very existent.

Hermann 2010 Brat category.

these are my Reuben Brats.

I had a problem with the 1000 Island dressing. I was planning on a nice drizzle across them when the bottle shot out a big blob. No time to clean them so I smeared it around, laughed, and shut the lid.

Appearance Scores:
9,8,8,8,7,7 :crazy:

11th place out of 29 teams

HermannMO019.jpg

Cheers,

Nate

Back