No its like 7/8 just kinda fits kinda screws in. Ill check size
Ok its 1in that I used then I used electrician nut on nipples after burning them. Just because.

Last edited:
This is a huge thread and I'm still working on it so excuse me if this has been answered so far. A lot has been mentioned about the opening and closing of the intakes but what about the exhaust on the lid? I'm using the factory 2" bung hole as my exhaust and want to know what most folks are doing as far as how much to keep that open when cooking?

Sparky

No its like 7/8 just kinda fits kinda screws in. Ill check size
Ok its 1in that I used then I used electrician nut on nipples after burning them. Just because.
Jethro, 1" is a tight tight fit. Best to use a step bit for the best fit. I'm an electrician and it is standard practice to use 1 1/8" hole saw to pass a 3/4" conduit through any hole but this is with a tiny bit of play. So 1" - 1 1/8" works for OD. 7/8" hole is for 1/2" conduit.

This is a huge thread and I'm still working on it so excuse me if this has been answered so far. A lot has been mentioned about the opening and closing of the intakes but what about the exhaust on the lid? I'm using the factory 2" bung hole as my exhaust and want to know what most folks are doing as far as how much to keep that open when cooking?

Sparky
Sparky, the general consensus is to leave the exhaust wide open. Leaving the exhaust as a constant means one less thing to worry about when adjusting temps. Mine has a standard weber 22.5" lid and I only close the lid when i want to kill the fire. I dont know if smoke gets stale but the exhaust wide open would help prevent "stale" smoke from staying around longer than it has to.

First of all I would like to say its an honor to post in this amazing thread. I am halfway through and soaking up all the info in here like a sponge. I have all my supples and am getting ready to build my first UDS and am sticking to KISS and following the standard Norco design for some tried and true results.

I bought a sheet of 24x24 3/4" expando from HD for my no weld charcoal basket and as I see it I have 2 options:

1.) Cut it in half and use a 18in coal grate - basket thats 12in tall and has a 13.5 in diameter

or

2.) Cut it into thee pieces and use a 22.5in coal grate - basket thats 8in tall and has a 17.5in diameter

So brethren I ask you this when it comes to charcoal baskets for UDS what's better....length or girth?

I'm assuming a wider basket is better because its further from the fire, but then again I wanted to ask those who have built and have real world answers.

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this amazing thread so that people like myself can build something that works on the first try and not have to worth through trial and error.

P.S. Do this thread come with a diploma or some from of certificate of completion when I have finished reading it?

You can cut slits init and fold up the sides to make a 12" base with 6" sides. That what I did. I folded up the sides and bolted it together.

Hey don't want to seem like an a hole. But this has been a hot topic as of late.
I to agree that it is anoying when your reading a thread like this one & its already like 50,000 post long (great thing) & you have to read a long quote over & over & over & over
Please remember that you can quote the part that is important to you & delete the rest.
I'm new here also but this is a valid point that is a pain in the a**

Thanks for reading : rant over

The weather gave me a break between showers and I completed a side shelf ... handles and casters to be done ... then disasseble and give it a burn and clean.

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

Table is attached with two 1/4 in bolts thru the inside 2X4.. the rest of the table is 1X4 treated glued and staples to two 1X2 strips and attached to the 2X4 with a piano hinge.

I still have to drill out the lid, install handles, and casters.

Thanks
Jim

Hey don't want to seem like an a hole. But this has been a hot topic as of late.
I to agree that it is anoying when your reading a thread like this one & its already like 50,000 post long (great thing) & you have to read a long quote over & over & over & over
Please remember that you can quote the part that is important to you & delete the rest.
I'm new here also but this is a valid point that is a pain in the a**

Thanks for reading : rant over

Thanks for the suggestion.............:drama:

Cleveland Browns UDS

Just wanted to show off the latest build. Its in a Cleveland Browns paint scheme for a buddy of mine. Turned out pretty good for just using ole rattle can paint. Its a typical build except I used a BGE type sliding intake fabricated out of some scrap aluminum from work. The side table is red wood stained pine boards with common shelf brackets with wing nuts on the inside to allow removal for storage. It also has 2 grill grates. Still working on perfecting hinges for future builds so for now just a removable lid. Can't wait for him to pick it up and see the look on his face.

Thanks for all who have posted on this site. Couldn't have done it without all the valuable information!

Last edited:
Coach,
Nice touch with the shelf brackets. I didn't think about those. Was trying to think of brackets for mine and drawing a blank. I need to remember "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

one note to other first time users , is burn beyond black, at black you have only charred the paint. burn until you get a powdery gray or tan, you will see the paint start to ignite in small crumbly flakes.

Informative posts HLS...I like your concise posts. Thanks for sharing. I know this post is old, but I'm slowly but surely making my way through this monstrous thread.

Sparky

Yeah, I understand. But what if, for example, uou want to grill a pizza or finish some chicken crispy? You might not have enuf intake air.

Not a problem, you just take the lid off for a minute and get the temps up, adjust intakes and your cooking. I did that with mine the other day with first cook and I was in the 500 area. I have 3 - 3/4" close nipples with a 2" exhaust with another 2" exhaust if needed ( factory issued with lid). Plenty of control from the 200-500 degrees.

Sparky

Decided copy another brother here to make a new and wider stainless basket today. All that's left is to make several larger holes so the ash falls through...

r1d8cl.jpg

24estjl.jpg

2jeuyq8.jpg

the holes in that basket don't look like they're good for air flow. Might have some problems keeping the fire lit.

sparky

Mine will shot to 500 no prob. I to have 3-3/4 intakes and weber lid I just don't go much higher. Worried about paint. I know,it will take it . Still

To peddler
Thanks for pic . Good idea.

Back