I started my seasoning burn last night about 6pm. Opened all intakes, full load of charcoal, weedburner to light the coals... up to 225 in under 10 minutes.:shock: I started capping it off and got it settled in at 250 with only the ball valve 1/4 closed. I left it going all night and checked it at 5:30am before I left for work.... still sitting at 250!!! :shock::eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I should have made one of these a long time ago! This is awesome!

I will do the seasoning burn tonight... probably cook something this weekend... and I have to wait for my artistically talented MIL from Germany to visit next month (when my wife pops out girl #3) to finish the Saint Arnold Brown Ale label paint job on the side. I need to look for some stencils for the bottle cap lid to finish that part.

Did you get some sauerkraut,bratwurst and weissbier yet?:-D

I can't stand sauerkraut :icon_sick. And the German weissbier has too much of a banana flavor for my liking. She usually brings me a few beers and lots of chocolate :biggrin:.

getting lid off????

OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Any ideas on how to remove a rolled lid and still use it as a lid???

Thanks,

Paul B

OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Thanks,

Paul B

In the beginning people claimed they took a cutoff blade on a die grinder and cut only the top and not the drum. Thawley had said he made a jig to do it but I must have missed that thread where he posted the picks. Either way if it was practical it would have been all over the UDS thread.

Before I started grinding away on that SS drum I sure would try to get my hands on a regular drum to practice on. It's something you'll only get one shot at doing right.

Naaahh.....wifey would probably not allow that, anyway only paid $5.00 for it at a garage sale!!!! Wish the guy had more, said he paid $25 for it.

Paul B

Thanks,

Paul B

HMMmmmmmmmmm, Maybe, just maybe if you cut it out really clean like this pic, but cleaner, you could attach something to the lid to keep it from falling down into the drum and don't add any or minimal exhaust holes. Or you could find something stainless that is flat and bigger and cut a ring out of it to bolt to your top for a sealing rim. Exhaust as normal.

GEDC0100.jpg

HMMmmmmmmmmm, Maybe, just maybe if you cut it out really clean like this pic, but cleaner, you could attach something to the lid to keep it from falling down into the drum and don't add any or minimal exhaust holes. Or you could find something stainless that is flat and bigger and cut a ring out of it to bolt to your top for a sealing rim. Exhaust as normal.

GEDC0100.jpg

Then it would warp and you could use it for a taco shaped serving tray.

Thanks,

Paul B

If you can find a donor drum, you can cut a lid off of it. I have a closed faced drum that I'm working on now. I left about 3/4 of a lip around the top of my drum (my lid had a raised groove about 1" from the edge. I cut just inside the groove. I cut the second lid as close to the ring as possible. To fit the grates in, I put a couple notches on either side of the lip leaving just enough room to get the grates in and hopefully still be airtight. My top grate rests comfortably on the 3/4" lip.

Another option (I'm doing this as well with a 3rd drum) is to cut the donor drum off below the high point of the middle top ridge. Use it as a super weber type lid.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea if this will work or not. This is my first UDS build and won't know if it works until next week when I season it.

Here's a couple pics.

3/4" lip

DSCN2359.jpg

Lid #1
DSCN2357.jpg

Lid #2
DSCN2354.jpg

thanks for the heads up, i put it on for the first time before the pic and i didnt get a tight seal. i have a couple screw in hooks that i will put on there.

thanks for the heads up, i put it on for the first time before the pic and i didnt get a tight seal. i have a couple screw in hooks that i will put on there.

You can send me that lid hanger I don't mind a little extra air flow. BTW....Nice drum!

Back