Side dishes for a smoked ham?

MRI_Guy

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am planning on taking my ECB to UW Lot 60 and smoking a ham for the upcoming tailgate party.

I am planning on hitting the local farmer's market Saturday morning before hitting the parking lot. If we are going to drink all day, may as well have a few veggies (I guess).

However, besides the ham, what else should I serve to my tailgating guests....................

My sides would be brisket, chicken, fatties, and sausage. Oh wait, wrong kinda sides.

Farmers Market.............roasted corn and squash come to mind right away. Maybe some heirloom 'matos with a balsamic and sugar marinade and fresh basil.

Smoke some sweet potatoes with that ham. A little butter, brown sugar, garlic, and chipotle - you'll be stylin'.
Maybe some pineapple slices. I like the prvious idea of squash (believe it or not, it was smoked squash that really got me into this obsession)
Some canned collard green wouldn't suck.
Of course, you know you can't have ham without scalloped potatoes. After all, you are partially Norwegian.

Smoke some sweet potatoes with that ham. A little butter, brown sugar, garlic, and chipotle - you'll be stylin'.
Maybe some pineapple slices. I like the prvious idea of squash (believe it or not, it was smoked squash that really got me into this obsession)
Some canned collard green wouldn't suck.
Of course, you know you can't have ham without scalloped potatoes. After all, you are partially Norwegian.

Collards would NOT suck at all. Collards with bacon and northern beans is a dang good combo.

A half sheet pan of the most incredible Smoked Mac-n-Cheese you'll ever try.

Well, I think that twice baked sweet potatoes are in as one side. I plan to wrap the sweet taters in foil and let them do their thing for a few hours, then pull them off of the grate, empty out their insides, mix in a couple pats (or pounds) of butter, a little brown sugar, and crushed pineapple - then sprinkle a few peecans on top and put em back on the grill for a bit longer while the ham is carved.

Then for another side - I am thinking about a cold salmon/apple salad served in a 'flowered' tomato.

So far - other than myself - I haven't found anyone that would eat squash.................but I have a few more emails out to justify buying & cooking some.

How about sweet tater hashed browns? I cube the sweet taters and then pan fry them with some Lawry's seasoned salt and a little chipotle powder for a slight heat.

Keri's Hog Apple Beans!!....that's a natural combo w/ ham!!....Oh, and sorry in advance for the loss to Penn State.....bring more beer....:biggrin:

Bob said:
That salmon salad sounds killer!!

Tomatoes stuffed with Apple Salmon salad

1 tart red apple - cored & diced
lemon juice
1 cup cooked peas
dash salt
1/2 c Mayo
1 half pint jar salmon drained
4-6 tomatoes
Leafy green lettuce
1 hard boiled egg - sliced
Old bay seasoning

After dicing apples - sprinkle lemon juice on top (about 1 TBSP). Add peas, dash salt & mayo. Stir to mix. Fold in drained/skinned salmon. Chill for a couple of hours.

If desired - skin tomatoes by scalding, shocking and peeling(my grandfather did this - but I don't. Unskinned tomatoes keep their shape better in my opinion). Chill until ready to serve.

REmove stems from tomatoes, and cut 3/4 of the way through from the non stem side into 6-8 wedges. Open the 'flowered' tomato on a bed of leafy green lettuce.

Add scoop of salmon mixture to center of each tomato. Garnish with sliced hard boiled egg and a sprinkle of old bay seasoning.

One tomato per guest or 2-3 for each salmon fiend..............

I am also considering Brussels Sprouts in a Mustard Sauce as a side dish - only because these looked pretty cool at the farmer's market last weekend.

n581721988_990256_8830.jpg

I am going to keep this as simple as possible. And this is also a home fav.

GREEN BEANS
MASHED POTATOES
bread.

Back