Keeping Turn Ins Warm

PalmettoSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, my pork tends to cool down pretty quickly when I start pulling and preparing for turn ins. What are your secrets for keeping it warm, or getting it warm again?

The only turn-in that the judges will eat warm is chicken. By the time the others get shuffled around, presented, and tasted they will be cold/room temp. Make sure your food tastes good cold!

As a CBJ I don't think I've EVER had a hot or even warm pork turn in. They're all about room temp by the time they get to the judges table.

As a CBJ I don't think I've EVER had a hot or even warm pork turn in. They're all about room temp by the time they get to the judges table.

I'm not sure that everyones Q doesnt taste better hot. However, ^^^ +1 above. Pete (of Yazoo's Delta Q) and others have said the different in a consistent winner and a consistent middle-of-the-pack is bbq that tastes great when it's at room temperature.

We use 3 of us to pull the pork butts in about 5 minutes; 2 pullers and I usually separate the meat from fat and select out the best pieces. About 5 minutes to assemble it in the box, and another minute to drissle the HOT sauce on. The box is closed quickly and into the insulated warmer for carrying. We try hard to have it turned in within the last 5 minutes of the turn-in window.

It's pretty much a level playing field because everybody's product will be at room temp by the time it gets judged. We do the standard stuff, i.e. timing the box build and turning in as late as possible. I don't put sauce in my box, so adding sauce won't help me. In the end, it needs to taste good at room temp.

It's not necessarily about keeping it hot, but more about keeping as hot as possible. It doesn't matter if your BBQ tastes the best on top of ice cream, if it is cold you will not score well.

You could put your pork back in the smoker to warm it back up before you turn it in....... Oh.. sorry, no you can't...

You could put your pork back in the smoker to warm it back up before you turn it in....... Oh.. sorry, no you can't...

Yup, no legal way to reheat, and least not in KCBS. What you can do is, as others have said, is use hot hot sauce. It's also legal to heat a dutch oven or cast iron pan, then remove it from the heat and keep the pork in there while you select pieces and box. Retained heat is fine, an active heat source is not.

I don't add any sauce in the box, so it really only takes me five minutes to build a box. Maybe eight minutes if pickings are tough. I try and time it so when I'm done building it gets snapped shut and goes straight to the turn place. Cut it really close before, within 10 seconds. Very few times have we had to hold the box before taking it to turn in.

Try heating a pizza stone in the smoker then put it under your disposable cutting board when prepping your pork box...might help...might not...lol!

Yup, no legal way to reheat, and least not in KCBS. What you can do is, as others have said, is use hot hot sauce. It's also legal to heat a dutch oven or cast iron pan, then remove it from the heat and keep the pork in there while you select pieces and box. Retained heat is fine, an active heat source is not.

So you say it's legal to heat a Dutch oven up and pull your pork in it? That's a good idea. I will have to use that one.

On another note, chicken has to be served hot?

So you say it's legal to heat a Dutch oven up and pull your pork in it? That's a good idea. I will have to use that one.

On another note, chicken has to be served hot?

I don't think that it has to be served hot, it's just that since it's usually bigger pieces, it'll end up still being warm by the time it's tasted.

Back