Rotisserie Turkey - Anyone ever try it?

FatDad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A friend ask me about doing a 10-12 Turkey on the grill Rotisserie and I have never tried it nor heard of anyone doing it so I thought I would throw it out there.
Anyone done it?
Is it much different than yard bird?

Thanks,
Mark

Same as yardbird, except more beer is consumed watching the bugger go round and round. Be sure to plan your beverages accordingly! (Bigger bird=more drinkin time)

Make sure to tie it tight so it dont move when it starts to get done. Great results though.

Dan

i've done several. one in my weber kettle rotis and one in my char griller with my ez que. both turned out great !

For many moons now, I've cooked a stuffed turkey on the kettle and it's always turned out great, but since getting my rotisserie a couple weeks ago I'd like to try that too. Has anyone tried irotisserizing a stuffed bird, or should I save that for the smoked breast I'm also doing this turkey-day?

Never done a stuffed bird for for many years have rotisseried birds on the weber. coals down each side and water pan in the middle to keep the bird moist.

Done a couple and we loved them. Injected and rubbed. Think the injection was basiclly beer, honey,all spice, maybe a little chick broth. Did it kinda indirect, coals on both outsides and a drip pan under the bird. Takes a few hours but it was awesomelly worth it.

I really never thought about doing a turkey like that. Sounds great.
As to the answers you got...Whats the old saying about no picts.

A few years ago it was storming here so I had to break out the Ronco Rotisserie. I still prefer them smoked, but in a pinch, it was pretty good.

Did one on the drum recently. Some info you may find helpful.

Here a link to a video by Alton Brown on how to truss a turkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQB7D_xB0I

Works great!! Had no problem with the legs or wings flopping at all.

Check it about an hour in. Shrinkage may cause the fork to pull out. :icon_blush:

DSC03502.jpg

Other than that, it was a pretty smooth cook. This was a 12 pounder cooked at around 325° or so. I don't remember exactly how long it took but I think it was about 3-1/2 hours.

DSC03504.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

i really don't truss my turkeys. i do tie the legs loosely though. want the heat to reach the thigh.

I just realized that my rotisserie only has the single fork ends. Hope it will hold a turkey still.

I just realized that my rotisserie only has the single fork ends. Hope it will hold a turkey still.

I just did one this morning with the single fork ends and it worked great with the Alton Brown Truss method.

Still wish I had 4-pronge forks...Christmas!

I just did one this morning with the single fork ends and it worked great with the Alton Brown Truss method.

Still wish I had 4-pronge forks...Christmas!

I watched that video and just got back from getting more string. :-D Come h*ll or high water this bird is going on the Kettle.:biggrin:

Back