Parrothead made it to Florida

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Greg (aka Parrothead) made it to Clearwater this afternoon. He brought his friend Tom with him and we made the most of the short time available.

They got to the house about 12:45 and we decided lunch was first priority -- we headed over to Fred Fleming's a local/regional "chain" and I had a half rack of ribs while Greg piled into a three meat combo plate: ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. Tom had catfish (they do a good catfish), ribs, and pulled pork.

After food and a couple of adult beverages we piled back into the Suburban and headed into scenic downtown Dunedin to a gift shop Tom knew about. Well it was packed with parrothead/island/tourist stuff. I think Greg about overloaded when he saw the about 3' high carved parrot with serving tray -- then saw the "matching" gator-waiter and shark - both in Hawaiian shirts and Margaritaville grins.

We headed down to one of Frenchy's places on the beach -- drinks were so-so and the place was pretty crowded and LOUD -- we left about the time the second shift of tourist with walk-around-town-coupon maps showed up. Did a quick tour of the beach area and then headed over to Eli's.

Eli's is a small 'que joint in Dunedin. They cook with 100% oak in a huge trailer smoker. The smoker is in it's own screen shed out back. Tom was lagging on us and stayed in the truck while Greg got a full-rack of ribs to- go for the trip back to Winter Haven and I got a 1/2 rack to keep momma happy (she was very appreciative!! :D).

Headed back to my place for a pic or two and then Tom and Greg headed east to central Florida.

It was great hosting a "brother" even if for just a couple of hours. Hope he had a good time.

Thanks DF for the post. Great to hear you had a good time together.

and people say the internet ain't real!!

Buzz

Had a great time, Dave! Thanks again!

Dave is an excellent tour guide. If anyone ever gets a chance to take the Dave Little tour of the clearwater area, I highly recommend it. Just wish it could have been a little longer.

Fred's was excellent. I was impressed. To elevete to that type of sit down restaurant and maintain good old down home q is something.

After we got back we threw some ribeyes on the grill. Sat down in front of the TV and everybody fell asleep in about 10 minutes into pirates of the caribbean. I woke up a half hour later and thought, Eli's, I have ribs. Warmed a couple of them up and they were excellent. My buddy Tom just looked at me and couldn't believe that I was having more ribs.

It's about 9 in the morning right now, and I think I am gonna tear into some more ribs. Even though we have brunch reservations for 11.

It's been a great trip visiting old and new friends, eating lots of ribs, and being able to sit outside with my coffee as I type this.

Dave, that sauce is my sweet and smokey. Unfortunately it's not my best. I was having an off day when I made that batch (21 pints). I'll have some killer sauce made up by the time we get together at Phil's.

As for that parrot? My buddy Tom doesn't know it yet, but it is going to end up on his front door next week.

Hey Dave, you have one of my shirts on. Is it the BBQ one?

Hmmm, I posted a response to this thread this a.m. but it didn't "take", oh well.

It was great to meet Greg and Tom -- sorry Tom couldn't hang on the rib run :D That was more fun than bar hopping (well, almost!).

The parrot was outstanding-that was quite a gift shop! -- but you can't break up the set -- gotta have the gator-waiter and shark!!

Haven't opened the sauce yet -- probably be next weekend.

Brian - that is a state approved beard on my face. I figure I can't grow hair on my head anymore so might as well go with the beard.

And yes, that is a Big Dogs shirt -- the "If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, stay away from the Pit!"
I wore it at Fred's and Eli's -- I'm not bashful about my 'que!

Went to another q joint Sunday night for dinner. Woody's BBQ. Had a damned good slab of ribs there too. Looks like a pretty good sized chain. They have stores in Florida, bama and Georgia. Bill, I grabbed us each a bottle of their sauce. Good stuff.

Hey Bill. If ya look close at the picture, you can see some of Dave's black drain tile laying on a pile in the yard. I should have grabbed a shovel and helped out. oh well. next time.

Yep! Still for sale.

Another at the start of our cul-de-sac is up for sale, too! They gotta be outta there minds $219K for a 3 bedroom almost 20 year old place -- they must think we're in SoCal of something!!

All right, if this thread gets too much further away from David and Gregs Road trip, I will prune out the crap (of which I am partly responsible)

Back