Great article on fajitas, and the inside/outside skirt steak debate

I especially liked the tid-bits on the origin of the "fajita" moniker. I wish he would have pointed out that "chicken fajitas" is a gringo oxymoron. "Fajita" in Spanish usually means "little girdle" and literally refers to the size and position of this cut on the cow.

The reference to the south Texans heckling the dude in Austin that said he coined the term / cut "fajita" is revealing. Wood grilled skirt served on tortillas (corn or flour) with fresh pico de gallo is as Norteno as you can get and certainly has been around for a very long time.

Sour cream, black olives, blender made guacamole, cheddar cheese etc. are gringo additions.

Just my $0.02.

I especially liked the tid-bits on the origin of the "fajita" moniker. I wish he would have pointed out that "chicken fajitas" is a gringo oxymoron. "Fajita" in Spanish usually means "little girdle" and literally refers to the size and position of this cut on the cow.

The reference to the south Texans heckling the dude in Austin that said he coined the term / cut "fajita" is revealing. Wood grilled skirt served on tortillas (corn or flour) with fresh pico de gallo is as Norteno as you can get and certainly has been around for a very long time.

Sour cream, black olives, blender made guacamole, cheddar cheese etc. are gringo additions.

Just my $0.02.

If you run across it, Robb Walsh has a good cookbook about Tex-Mex, that includes a discussion of chicken fajitas. It covers the entire state, and spectrum.

"A student with a knife made a foot-long slash between the brisket and throat, and Blacky started bleeding profusely. It takes six to eight minutes to bleed out, and it's important that the animal remain alive so the heart can pump out all the blood. The animal dies after it bleeds out."

I am not a big fan of PITA, but I can see how this would upset some people.

I know Dariy cows and beef cattle are not the same, but my Uncles were dariy farmes in VA for 30 years and would butcher a cow about every six months. It was a 30-06 to the base of the skull and dress the animal immediatlly, there was no bleed out and I never remember the meat being "off"!

A good read written by a Tex Mex authority - thanks for sharing.

Just discovered this forum. Great forum and a nice read. Looks like I got a new thing to try...

"A student with a knife made a foot-long slash between the brisket and throat, and Blacky started bleeding profusely. It takes six to eight minutes to bleed out, and it's important that the animal remain alive so the heart can pump out all the blood. The animal dies after it bleeds out."

Yeah, that's not-so-nice. We, too, used a rifle to kill the cows instantly. Never an "off" taste. We mostly grass-fed our small herd.

I'm not a big PETA fan (except when they decide to use body paint on nude models and put them in cages) ... doesn't mean I think we should be cruel to the animals we eat.

I too grew up in a time and culture where we butchered our own chickens, pigs, and beef. A clean, quick kill was always the norm. I never saw this "bleeding alive" stuff.
I am not a fan of PITA either [except as noted by Kuyas:twisted:
But, no need to be cruel to animals either.

Back