Success!!!

Sea Dog

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Whew! Whatta day!

Ok, I started last night. First I brined my ribs in a solution of of cold water, 1 cup table salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 8 tsp brown sugar, & 4 tbs garlic powder.
Brined for 1 hour.
Picture060.jpg

Then put on a rub of 3/4 cup paprika, 1/4 cup black pepper, 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs onion powder and 2 tsp cayenne.
Ribs:
Picture062.jpg

Pork Butts:
Picture061.jpg

Woke up this morning at 5am and was cooking by 6. (I overslept). Found out I had way too much meat for my cooker, so I had to cook the two racks of ribs and my lg 9lb pork butt first. I used no foil on the ribs this time and the brining really helped! Took the ribs off after 4 hrs and put the last smaller butt on at 10am.

Cooked the lg butt for...12 hrs and the smaller butt about 9. The smaller one wasnt quite ready but my buddy was in a hurry, so he took it and his slab of ribs and took off.
Butt:
Picture065.jpg

Sliced ribs:
Picture063.jpg

The ribs were very good and very moist! I worried about em the whole time (since i burned up my last bunch of ribs), but they were fine. I dunno how my buddies pork butt turned out, but the bone practically fell out of mine and the meat would literally melt in my mouth. (Mom loved it). Even Puddles got some good tidbits and lots of fat and juice!
A Happy Doggie!
Puddles001.jpg

Fellas, i learned a lot from reading the stuff on this website and I have to admit I was very proud of my efforts. Not competition calibre mind you...but darn fine eatin'. I got that so-called 'Sweet Blue' smoke going today and also got the smoke ring that you guys were talking about.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

That cool Sea Dog. It all looks great and you pup looks very appreciative as well. Glad you and your friend enjoyed as that's what it's all about.

Looks great!!
Just curious, why are you brining ribs??

1 Hour is not enough time for brining....it's possible that you draw water out of the meat in such a short time and not enough time for it to go back in with some of the salts/sugars

Congrats, I still remember my first offerings from my cooker AFTER I learned to cook Q properly. When my tongue didn't go numb from to much smoke I knew I was there. Good Job Dog!

1 Hour is not enough time for brining....it's possible that you draw water out of the meat in such a short time and not enough time for it to go back in with some of the salts/sugars

Bbq Bubba said:
Looks great!!
Just curious, why are you brining ribs??
I got the technique from this site.http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/brine_your_ribs.html

It says in part:

Submerge the ribs in the brine and refrigerate for only one hour. Do not leave the ribs in too long or the brine will make the meat too salty and pull out too many of the pork juices! When it comes to brining, more is not better. A reader who brined overnight and he said the result was ribs that tasted like ham from a can.

It made sense to me and the ribs (which were dry last time) turned out very moist and tasty this time. Otoh, I didnt bother to brine the butts as they are pretty fatty and moist already. I think I'll continue this step for awhile.

:cool:

Welp. The 4th of July is fast upon us. Glad I found my post on this recipe. Gotta case of beer ready to put on ice and I'll be ready to go!

What are you folks cooking for the 4th this year?

:-D

Nice cook. Not sure I buy that brining for longer than an hour is bad. Perhaps on pork you can get a hammy flavor, but I brine chicken and turkeys at least overnight with never an issue (unless you call very flavorful meat an issue :biggrin:).

After all, the entire concept behind brining is using osmosis to get flavor moisture and flavor into the meat. And with osmosis, once you reach equilibrium it stops. So, in theory, even with pork, if you chose a brine with the right levels of salt and sugar at equilibrium you should be good. So perhaps the hammy ribs just have too much of a salt/sugar content in the brine?

I dunno. I posted a link to where I got the idea of brining above. I followed the instructions there and it turned out really good.

:-D

Picture060.jpg

Fellas, i learned a lot from reading the stuff on this website and I have to admit I was very proud of my efforts. Not competition calibre mind you...but darn fine eatin'. I got that so-called 'Sweet Blue' smoke going today and also got the smoke ring that you guys were talking about.
Thanks for all your help!!!!
I've said all along that this truely is the BEST BBQ forum on the 'net!
Everyone on here is more than willing to help out a brother with tips and/or techniques.
Congratulations on the good eats!:grin:

Back