Input please on a Virginia Competition.

Heck, come January/February I may be ready to make that trip!

My question is for those who would be interested in competing in a contest in Lexington, Virginia what would be a date/weekend you would be most interested in.
Ruben

March. Salisbury MD experience tons of growth in its contest by choosing a date early in the season (april) where there is little competition with other events.

What would be the thoughts on say the 3rd weekend of October? It is peak fall foliage in this area and not a better time to visit the Shenandoah Valley. I know many will say the Royal and Jack and if you can't come for that reason then that is a good thing, but what about for those who are not going to those comps?

The Jack and Sayville in NY are around that date no?

Thanks Tom I thought it was 25 teams not. We figured 30 teams so if a few backed out we would still have 25. I was approached by people wanting to have a BBQ competition, bring in the live music and possibly a few other things to draw the public out. They wanted to get sponsorship and give all proceeds to the FFA Future Farmers of America. Naturally I would want to have a great competition. I know how couped up I was last January and Febuary and would like to have had a competition to go to without traveling 10 states away. A few thoughts I have about a January competition. 1) It would be right after Christmas, me being an auto tech I know nobody has money to get the car repaired after Santa Claus comes to town. Would that deter people from competing? 1) How would freezing cold weather effect drawing a crowd spectators for all events and any vendors there?

Right now they are looking at October 15-16 2010. I know ther are some other comps in NY and PA. Front Royal is the weekend before so I will see what they say about January!

November -Dec. looks like between last minute points battles and those that just dont want the season to end it could work in your favor

Diva-

Weren't you the one freezing next to us in Little Rock in Feb? :rolleyes:

Well sheesh we fly 2000 miles south you would think it would have been a little warmer than Canada. :) We will be better prepared this year. Bringing the trailer this time LOL

I like either March or Late April / early May - between Salisbury and the 3 or 4 in mid-May. Late May - maybe even Memorial Day weekend might work. If you go into October, you will have a hard time pulling teams from other contests or many teams don't want to do back-to-back weekends. The spring time is much less congested with contest. Late June may work. The only conflict I know is DC.

First, let me say I would be thrilled to see another Virginia contest!!!!!

I love the idea as long as it's not interfering with another contest going on that weekend within about 400 miles or so. Personally, I'd like to see another contest early on in the season as long as it's not the same weekend as Salisbury, Edenton, or Chesapeake/Danville.

The downside to August contests is that its very hot. If you're planning on doing a contest in august, make sure your venue has A LOT of very stable power for those running A/C. Plenty of hookups for RV's (30 and 50 amp) become a necessity for me during that time of year.

It was suggested that the fall might be a good option as well, but I see a few downsides to that as well. For me, Hedgesville and Rocky Mount are "go-to" contests, and you also have a lot of teams going to/preparing for the American Royal and the Jack, which would reduce your turnout. Also, I wouldn't interfere with Hog Happnin' weekend in Shelby. I just got back from there and loved it so much that I would honestly drive the 7 hours again rather than the 2 hours to lexingon.

That being said, you may want to consider the weekend AFTER Shelby. At the end of the season, you see alot of teams in hot pursuit of last minute points (I think thats part of the reason Shelby is so crowded). Since Shelby isn't too far, you would likely get a lot of teams migrating to your contest the next weekend to rack up a few more last minute points.

So in summation of my long winded post - my vote would be for early in the season (around Salisbury time), or the second weekend in November - just my 0.02. Thanks organizing another Virginia contest.

Best,
Nelson

One thing they are reviewing is that they want community support and involvment in the festival. Trying to come up with a date that meets that and works with the BBQ competition world is proving to be a hard task. Other factors involves are open dates of the Virginia Horse Center. Nothing is set in stone but the weekend they are looking at for now is October 15, 2010 . Its leaves a weekend between Front Royal and the current date they are looking at. They have ruled out anything between Mid November the first of May. May is Pigs in the Park & Chesapeake Julbaliee, June is Beltway BBQ & Capitol City DC, July is Que and Cruz, August is sort of open but Staunton, Va is in talks with KCSB for a mid August comp, Sept is Pickin in the Panhandle and I think somebody said Va Beach, Oct is Front Royal plus the Royal & Jack. Novenber is Hog Happnin. Late November around here is hunting season and the world stops for it. Other than mid Oct to mid Nov I dont know what to say. Maybe there are enough competitions and new ones are not needed at this time.

Before Salisbury could be a good time Mike, I wonder how the cold weather would effect team turn outs though? I was also thinking that there are no close contests the first weekend of November that I know of except for Hog Happnin but it is about 4-5 hours south of here. November and early April would be abut the same weather. Everyone is ready to go early spring and tired by fall so you may be right. Sorry just thinking aloud. :-D

The first contest in the area will help the draw. I really like the idea of a comp in Feb or early April:-D Just stay away from Feb 12-15. According to the Farmers Almanac a big storm will be all up and down the entire East coast :icon_frow

One thing they are reviewing is that they want community support and involvment in the festival. Trying to come up with a date that meets that and works with the BBQ competition world is proving to be a hard task. Other factors involves are open dates of the Virginia Horse Center. Nothing is set in stone but the weekend they are looking at for now is October 15, 2010 . Its leaves a weekend between Front Royal and the current date they are looking at. They have ruled out anything between Mid November the first of May. May is Pigs in the Park & Chesapeake Julbaliee, June is Beltway BBQ & Capitol City DC, July is Que and Cruz, August is sort of open but Staunton, Va is in talks with KCSB for a mid August comp, Sept is Pickin in the Panhandle and I think somebody said Va Beach, Oct is Front Royal plus the Royal & Jack. Novenber is Hog Happnin. Late November around here is hunting season and the world stops for it. Other than mid Oct to mid Nov I dont know what to say. Maybe there are enough competitions and new ones are not needed at this time.

Sorry you were posting at the same time. Bummer they ruled out early spring :icon_frow But we all like seeing new comps. Know it is a challenge but don't forget Dover.

Don't forget Danville is canceled

Really, Why? That sucks cause I won the free entry raffle into next years competition :cry:

The guy from Danville was at Shelby to talk to competitors, but I never got to talk to him. I don't know why he would be there if it were cancelled.
Maybe one of the guys here talked to him.

The guy from Danville was at Shelby to talk to competitors, but I never got to talk to him. I don't know why he would be there if it were cancelled.
Maybe one of the guys here talked to him.

I talked with Bill from Danville, the city doesn't want the contest in the park any more. Bill owns Pigs in the Park and is actively looking for another site to host the event.

Back