OTG vs Performer Silver

IlliniQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, after a month with my ECB, the charcoal bug has burrowed fairly deep into me... and that means it's time to add a charcoal grill to the yard.

I've always wanted a "classic" Weber kettle, but until fairly recently lived in an apartment with a wooden deck and had to have gas only.

Right now I have a charmglow four burner gas grill. There's nothing wrong with it, and I plan to still use the gasser for quick weeknight meals. That said, I don't have any real use for a gas assist charcoal grill as the new charcoal grill will only be used for more leisurely weekend cooks either for the family or small-medium get-togethers when saving time with gas assist won't matter.

I was pretty set on getting an OTG, but then I saw the performer silver on amazon. I'm going to be ordering from amazon for sure as I have a $100 gift card to use, which would make the OTG $49 and the Performer Silver $129.

Anyone have any experience with the performer silver? is it worth an extra $80 over the OTG? I'm still leaning towards the OTG considering it's only $50 after the gift card, but if anyone has any compelling reasons that I should reconsider the performer, I'm interested in hearing about it. The cost of the gold/platinum performers are out of my budget right now, and I really don't think I'd use the additional features they have, anyway.

Edit: I did search old threads before posting this - found a lot of comparisons of the OTG to the high-end performers, as well as a good thread about the performer silver, but not much comparison between these two grills specifically.

Last edited:
The table comes in REALLY handy if you don't already have somewhere right next to your grill to put stuff.

If the table was 304 stainless I'd go with it. What happens when you put something on the plastic table, accidentally, that is around say 450F?

The table comes in REALLY handy if you don't already have somewhere right next to your grill to put stuff.

Yeah, that's my hang up... It'll be near the gasser and the patio table, so I'm trying to figure out if that table will be $80 worth of convenience over the existing workspaces I would have within a few steps. Also, lid holder seems nice, not sure if it's any better (or worse?) than the hook on the OTG. And last the additional stability of the cart vs the tripod...

If the table was 304 stainless I'd go with it. What happens when you put something on the plastic table, accidentally, that is around say 450F?

Doesn't really specify exactly what the material is other than "painted metal"

2013_04_12_03_51_47_Performer_Silver_side.jpg

Agreed!

I was actually looking to pull the trigger on a performer silver when I came up on a barely used performer platinum for $150 with cover on CL. The ease of moving the grill around and the table are absolutely essential IMHO. When I use my PBC (barrel) for example I'll bring the performer around it to use the table to place things on. So that's at least one thing to consider.

My vote is the performer silver.

check craigslist. Got a weber kettle with tongs, 2 charcoal baskets, a weber chiminey and a grill brush for $30-something.

You can get a lot of meat for $80. Or equipment. Or charcoal...

The OTG is what I think of when I think of a Weber. If you need a table, get something that you can easily use with all of your cooking equipment, lest you have to cart an entire grill over to your smoker just so you can use the table.

I'd get the OTG, a brisket, a rib-roast, and a few bags of your favorite charcoal.

I Got a used Performer Platnum on CL for $60

Love it

I Got a used Performer Platnum on CL for $50.00 missing a front caster but that was just a few bucks , and it is great having the work area and the gas assist , I love it

The only downside to the OTG is the leg assembly. They CAN come out when moving if you aren't careful. It's never happened to me with my OTS but only because I haven't had a case of the stupids in that particular circumstance yet. That said, I also got a 50 dollar Performer Platinum off of CL. I've never used the gas assist, not even once, in four years. I HAVE used both the OTS and the performer at the same time though, so having more than one kettle is always good. Looking at the size of the table on the silver, I'm not sure it's actually worth the extra considering you already have a decent work space.

I have an OTG, but I would love the Performer. I got my OTG for cheep on CL, so that's the one I have.

It can be hard to figure out just how much money to spend on one of these Weber grills, I mean you have to draw the line somewhere right? But also consider the length of the investment, these things last for decades. But be careful, you may find yourself wanting a Performer Gold or Platinum in the future, so maybe an OTG is a good way to start.

Back