View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Question How long can a brisket rest?

I picked up a 15lb brisket yesterday to smoke (yesterday was my Saturday), and realized that it could take a long time to smoke at 245*. I put it into the smoker at 9:15 last night, allowing it to have 18 hours in the smoker before I the time I want to pull it (this afternoon at 3:30pm). It's 9am, the brisket has been in for 12 hours, and it at 195* internal (according to a stoker probe). Only 1 out of 4 spots on the flat probed tender, but the whole point was tender. I took the brisket out, seperated the point and flat, cubed the point for burnt ends, and put everything back in the smoker. I'm going to start probing every 45 mins or so, but I'm not expecting the flat to take more than about 2 more hours.

This brisket is for dinner tonight. I wanted to pull at 3:30pm, and give it 3 hours to rest before slicing. If it makes it another 2 hours it'll only be 11am, so I'll need to make the brisket keep for about 7 hours before time to slice. I've got one of the newer "stacker" coolers that's a perfect size for resting meats, and a bunch of towels. That's how I plan to rest it.

Will it rest for 7 hours?

Are there any alternatives?

I closed up the intake vents to drop the smoker temp. I'm shooting for 225*, and may take it a little lower to keep the flat warm.

Is warming it in the smoker a bad idea?
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote