WSM and Mold

Dmakkk

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have dealt with this before but i am looking for a way to prevent it. I currently have it and just cleaned out the pit and doing a high heat burn with lump. Outside of bringing it indoors is there a way to prevent it. I usually clean out my pit and prep it for the next cook and wasting fuel burning it out each time does not make sense to me. I always cover it but should I leave the vents open when covered or closed so the moisture can get out.

Let me know you thoughts...

The only way to prevent mold is to keep things clean and dry. The problem with grills is the grease. Unless you clean everything and dry it off, you will run the risk of mold. Those spores love anything organic, damp and dark.

I wonder if one of those moisture absorbing tubs would work. You know like for basements Or would it leave behind an oder?
Just brainstorming here.
Lid off/disassembled kind of thing but inconvenient.
What else absorbs moisture over long periods of time so you can keep it closed up covered and untouched...hmmmm

yeah just looking for a way to leave it outdoors and not have to worry about it. Now that it is getting warmer i will be using it more so I guess Ill continue to clean after every use.

Dump the water pan, take a black garbage sack put the grates in it add a little Dawn and water close the bag and set it in the sun for a day remove the grates rinse them off and put them back in the WSM.

Easy fix. You will have to fire it up at least once a week and it won't mold. :heh:

The mold uses the grease on the interior as FOOD
Unless you clean completely you will get mold if covered.
Mold loves the moist interior in a covered cooker.
The good news is the mold & spores are very heat sensitive, just brush grates & don't worry

I've run into mold a few times which I attributed to my leaving all vents closed and the unit covered when not in use. I started to leave the vents open when not in use and covered, my problem stopped.

As touched on above, you could buy some desiccant packs to put in it when not in use, but they would expire pretty quick I think.

Oh I thought you were trying to store it long term.
My bad!

Wow you're getting mold like weekly?!?!

If I remember correctly Weber recommends leaving the vents open when not in use. I do that religiously with all of my Weber units. I've had Weber stuff a couple of years and leave it outside. I keep all of them covered. I have not had any mold and I do not obsess with cleaning it afterwards. I just empty the water, dump the ashes and wipe out the bottom. Heck, I don't even clean the grates until it is time to cook again. I have LOTS of moisture in the Spring and I have not run into a mold problem yet. Knock on wood.

Every time I use my WSM I shut all the vents down when I'm finished cooking. I put the cover on when it cools and l leave it in the weather 24/7. I clean it right before I cook on it again. Never once have I seen any mold at all. FWIW the water pan never even goes in. I clean the grates and the heavy gunk with a weed burner and then a brush.

Back