Cinco de Mayo

Smoking Terrapin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've built a rep amongst friends as the bbq guy and am attending a party on Saturday for "Quatro de Mayo". Anyone have a good smoked Spanish or Mexican idea? I've smoked salsa, but usually in the summer with fresh tomatoes from the garden. Any way to smoke pork in a more South American style? Thanks Brethren!

Cochinita Pibil, but, forget the banana leaf. Or do the banana leaf.

Smoke a pork butt to almost tender, then fry in some oil seasoned with onions, oranges, garlic and peppers.

Pulled pork tacos, really, regular pulled pork, but with salsa, lettuce and cabbage slaw and shredded cheese

For a different direction, I like shredded beef (carne deshebrada) but, made from smoked chuck roast. You can serve as tacos, small burritos (that my old crew, mostly Mexicans, called tacos as well) or even in a salad.

Terrapin....simmer down now.....

You could try applying this to your butt before smoking it....make more depending on the size.

• 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pinch cinnamon
let it sit overnight. Use a wood that is mild so it doesn't overpower the rub.

Smoke till IT of 195. Foil, Wrap, Cooler it, then pull the fat off and use it to lightly fry the shredded pieces. Extra porky goodness!

What about smoked pork carnitas? Do a search here and you'll find a lot of recipes.

SmokinJohn's recipe above, but, maybe a bit more salt, on some wings would be terrific. There is a Mexican BBQ place out here that does ribs with a cumin heavy rub, that is really good. I mean, the best Baby Back ribs, and the rubs is pretty much a cumin and salt based rub. Then they smoke in a big Southern Pride.

Mojo-marinated pork or tacos al pastor. Both are delicious and easy.

Back