The changing American butcher shop

ScreamingChicken

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'll let the mods decide if this should be moved to Woodpile but I posted it here because it's a story about meat.:thumb:

This article appeared in my local newspaper yesterday and I found it pretty interesting. It's about the changing tastes and demands of Americans and how they've affected the local meat industry, and I'm sure these changes are happening in many other places, too.

Naturally, because of living in the San Francisco area, we have both things going on. Try and find a quality cut of meat at the supermarket, hardly. But, we also have whole animal butchery starting up again, there are local ranchers and farmers, selling whole animal all over the Bay Area with locally grown animals of all forms. It varies widely. Then there are the premium butcher departments in the smaller grocery chains, that can get you anything you want by order. Sort of the best of both worlds.

One thing I've noticed around here is how the bigger wholesaler/warehouse/suppliers are now starting to sell to the public. One example is this place:
http://quinteromeat.com/

They supply the majority of restaurants in the area, but they have REALLY starting growing in terms of selling to the public. Bout as fresh as it can get. They truck in the whole beef sides etc and break em down on site.

One reason I like the Mom and Pop meat shops is that they cut what they feel they can sell within that day and if they run out, they cut more. Nice to know that it's not on the shelf or in a tray for a period of days. Most of these places buy the whole sides and tear it down on site as well, or order cases of specific parts and break those down further.

Well written article. Unfortunately the USDA says I live in a "food desert". Even in this rural area there are no more old time butchers.

I feel quite lucky to have a little mom and pop grocery store in my area. I had never set foot in the place until I started smoking. I then discovered that they have a real old-fashioned meat counter. You can buy cases of pork butts, packer briskets, bacon by the pound, bulk sausage, etc. I hope there are enough folks patronizing the place for it to stay in business.

I also eat lunch at a locally owned burger restaurant occasionally. They buy their hamburger from the aforementioned grocery. I would really like to see this kind of trend continue. :thumb:

Its amazing how hard it is to find something as simple as an old fashion smokey , fatty ham hoch for soup beans !!!!! the whole get healthy movement has changed the meat market all over the USA

Back