Famous Dave's in Nesconset

S

Smoker

UGGGHHHHH

One of the guys at work is leaving on Friday so we are going out for lunch. They picked Famous Dave's. I'll either stop at Taco Bell or sneak into Poobahs back yard and grab some grease out of the bottom of MOAB. Either way it will be better than Famous Dave's.

IM right around the block... gimme a call.

Phil,

What if you came by to join us and someone takes your picture eating at Famous dave's?

Even if you get on the KCBS board they will throw you off when that picture gets out. Or they will make you vote their way using the picture as blackmail!!!

Smoker,

That is some pretty strong condemnation of Famous Daves you are posting.

For those of us who have never been to one, why is it so horrible?

Just curious.

TIM

I've been there 3 times....... ordered the same thing 3 times 1st time the ribs, brisket, and pulled pork were all dry..and the brisket had a wierd taste to it as well..second time, ribs and brisket were dry, pulled pork was actually pretty good.. 3rd time ribs and pulled pork were good, brisket was not tasty one bit.. I wote their corporate headquaters after each occasion.. never recieved a response.. but.. the place is packed every day..... I wish the place had better food .. That guy does good things for people, by the way..... Gives alot back ..

BBQchef33 said:
Heres my review of the place when it opened up.. details are in Post # 22 on down.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10180&highlight=%22famous+Daves%22

I haven't gone back since.. and its only a minute or 2 away. It was THAT bad. I have heard repeatedly from neighbors the same thing, but they have had the stuff WE make.

Thanks Phil.
I ran a search, but "multi-word" searches with common words yield so many results that I missed this one.

Reading that thread--seems that the quality is heavily dependent on the local staff or something. This is inconsistant with the "Red Book" or "Do it only this way" approach you described.

Seems that many locations are just fine for a huge chain.

But, if it is as bad as you locals seem to feel--"retirement opportunity" for you, Smoker, and the LI Crew :lol: :lol:

TIM

Smoker
Try the burnt ends. I had them in KC and they were very good. And yes, their stuff is not up to our stuff, but they do have some good sauces, ifin ya like that sort of thing. It really isn't that bad for franchise Q.

i still want to know what sauce they put on the chicken... Thats the one i'd buy. But... been almost a year.. have no urge to go back, even when jones'in for some Q... I think it was the blank stares when asking the "trained" staff questions that got to me the most.

I realy like the Texas pit variety of Famous Dave's. Sent some last trade.

BBQchef33 said:
i still want to know what sauce they put on the chicken... Thats the one i'd buy. But... been almost a year.. have no urge to go back, even when jones'in for some Q... I think it was the blank stares when asking the "trained" staff questions that got to me the most.
Granted it is not a place to go for great Q. But it can be a fun place to go hang out with friends, have a good time, and know that your worst is far better than their best. Kind of fun to play with the sauces to come up with a better blend. Gets your mind off the inferior food.

BBQchef33 said:

Is it the cajun stuff?

I went once with the wife. The brisket was dry and tasted like the smell of Kingsford charcoal being lit. Both the smoked chicken and roasted chicken tasted like lemon. Thats all I tasted. The ribs were dry. I never saw a reason to go back. Like Phil said, all of my friends have eaten my Q so I know what they will say on Thursday. It makes me look very good.

Phil, We will be there at 12:45pm. Come on by and I will buy you lunch.

I went to Famous Dave's in Wichita once. Kind of a yuppy fast food place. The restaurant was clean and sanitary. The food was wholesome, but a little expensive. Nothing to write you guys about, and I will probably never go back.

I only went to the one in Westbury once and got it as takeout. Some kind of mixed platter. I agree with Smoker, all I remember is that the chicken tasted purely like lemon. Ribs -avg. pulled pork - not too bad but severely drowned in sauce which killed it, brisket was horrible - extremely dry with absolutely zero smoke ring.

Oh, I forgot... the corn bread was pretty damn good. It wasn't corm bread in the traditional sense.. More like corn muffins that you'd get a Dunkin Donuts but it was still the best part of the meal !!!!

It almost make the waste of $40 tab seem worth it.

Thanks for the heads up gents. I know now that I will never have a meal there.

Sawdustguy said:
Thanks for the heads up gents. I know now that I will never have a meal there.

Guy,

It's impossible to have a meal there!!!!!!!!!

Back