We Got A Kitchen!!!

Crap! Now the HD is telling us we need a sink even if we prep offsite in a commercial kitchen.

Congrats Mista,we did something similar, I went to the local senior citizens center, where they have a commercial kitchen and asked if we cooked a couple of BBQ dinners for them during the year if we could use the kitchen. They were thrilled to let us use it just to have someone in the community that could benefit from it. So we have ours as well and got it for a couple of BBQ dinners for 30 people. Bought my own commercial fridge and it sits over their waiting for us to show up and use it.
Lots of people with the kitchens in the communities, just have to ask the right people if you can use them!

Can you get away with a bus tub?

Nope. They are very specific.

3 basin sink

basins have to be at least 14 x 16 x 16

Must have 2 drainboards and an angled backsplash. (Why you need a backsplash outdoors, I may never know.)

20 gal fresh water tank and 30 gal grey water tank minimum.

The bitch about it is that I have been visiting Farmers Markets and most of the vendors don't have sinks and neither does the market. So I can't get in without a health permit but there are people already there with permits and no sinks.

I haved a three sink set up that will go on the trailer we are building for you

Congrates Neil on the kitchen. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Yhoo Hoo Bro:icon_bigsmil

I'm going to go find me a Moose or Elk this week.

How long do you smoke a Moose or Elk?

Your sink has to be like this one for $2300 ?
imagemagic.php

Zowie. All the ones on eBay are at least $500 -- in most cases, sink only. Restaurant dismantler/recycler/reseller? Hmmm....

Congrats BigMista!!!

"Crap! Now the HD is telling us we need a sink even if we prep offsite in a commercial kitchen."

Here is SLO, CA. you can use a 5 gallon fresh water tank, with "warm" water. The valve must be a throttle type. The water must drip into a 5 gallon grey water bucket. Hands free paper towel, valve type soap as well. A specific hand cleaning unit... I keep on a seperate table. Then you need 3 buss trays. 1 with a mixture of bleach and water, one soapy water, and then a rinse sanitising. I keep these on a seperate table as well. Two tables just for hands and utensils... :O I got my health permit about 2 months ago for temporary multiple events... :)

I prep all my food at the events right now. I am off to my Elks Lodge when time is permitted. But so far, not that big of a deal.

MrsMista and I went to the Moose Lodge and made a presentation to the board and they agreed to let us use their commercial kitchen during off hours!

As long as I show up a couple a times per month and cook dinner for the members (they pay for the food) I get to use the kitchen for free! That satisfies the HD rule for having a commercial kitchen for prep.

We are on our way now!!

This was the nightmare I faced all thisyear. My Kitchen Partner ( a Gas Station that had a closed Deli inside with Tables and Gazebo Outside) ended up dying. The daughter got half of the business and was Jazzed about the idea of me running the Kitchen and providing her case with sandwiches, the STEP mother wants to sell the place and nixed it. Luckily I didn't put any money into it. It is still in Probate so no contracts can be signed.

Then another Gas station that had an old Donut shop in it at one time in one service bay and another unused service bay which was perfect to pull the 31 foot trailer into for service, was signed all lease and everything, and was ready for the FIRST HD visit (the one where they tell you what you need to do).... I was waiting to see how opening up the second old service bay would affect my kitchen in the first, that guy lost the whole damn Mobile because of gambling debts and it went back to being owned by Mobile.

So... while it does;t hurt my private party piz too much, it is nailing me on getting the huge Funkotorium, out and about day to day in the Walmart, Home depot and downtown parking lots.

I am so happy for you. I wonder if my local firehouse would be willing to do this if I cooked for their weekly bingo night?

Crap! Now the HD is telling us we need a sink even if we prep offsite in a commercial kitchen.

Bar sink is what I got in the Funkotorium. 200 on ebay but it took me a while to find one local.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you smoke a Moose or Elk?

Your sink has to be like this one for $2300 ?
imagemagic.php

Zowie. All the ones on eBay are at least $500 -- in most cases, sink only. Restaurant dismantler/recycler/reseller? Hmmm....

Something like that, yeah. Price is a pain in the butt. Trying to work something out with Farmers Market Manager.

MrsMista and I went to the Moose Lodge and made a presentation to the board and they agreed to let us use their commercial kitchen during off hours!

As long as I show up a couple a times per month and cook dinner for the members (they pay for the food) I get to use the kitchen for free! That satisfies the HD rule for having a commercial kitchen for prep.

We are on our way now!!

Awesome! Congratulations:biggrin:

We were thinking of doing the same thing in our area. At our first ever comp this past summer, we got to talking with a guy who turned out to be a bartender in our local Moose lodge. He suggested we join as they "could always use good cooks for events"

We've since done our first 2 paid gigs (first quoted for 70 people, last weekend was supposed to be 50 but more like 70 again)

The first one we did all the meats onsite (party was almost 300 miles from our home, so no other way) and cooked all the sides in their kitchen. This last one we did everything at our place and just had to deliver.

Both had VERY satisfied customers, so now we're pretty sure we're not fooling ourselves getting into this. Next step is either a Moose or church to have a commercial kitchen. (and possibly a larger smoker, just WSM's for now)

Best of luck in your future endeavors, and hoping you'll wish us luck in ours:-D

A larger smoker will definitely be a blessing. Good luck!

That just doesn't sound right. I know codes are different, but you're either a "caterer", "mobile food vendor", or "personal chef" where I'm from. When you try to combine any of them - like preparing food in a certified kitchen and then cooking some of it on site (not sure if that's what you're doing) then I can see why the HD is making you have a sink. We started the process just as you are, found a church that would donate the kitchen but then still ran into the HD saying, "no...you have to smoke the meat at your certified kitchen location and then transport it, ready to serve, to the site." We ended up going with the mobile vending license and picked up a nice enclosed trailer with some bells and whistles that the HD required so that we could smoke the meat on-site. The drawback is that we have to prepare everything on-site (in order to comply with the license). Beans, potato salad, slaw...everything. That happens most of the time :wink:

Back