Freeze or not?

Jeffp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm curious about freezing my brisket before using it in competition. I have researched it and it seems some do and some dont. I have cooked a couple that were previously frozen and I dont see much of a difference but that is probably more accurately attributed to my skill (or lack there-of). Any thoughts?

I want to say that I have heard a theory that freezing a Brisket will somehow make it more tender. As far as whether anyone has proven it, I have no idea. I do know that there is a certain amount of mousture loss during thawing, but compared to the moisture loss during cooking it may be negligible.

Hope someone answers, I would like to know also.

I think you will find answers in this thread that mirror what your reseach revealed. Here is how I will answer:

I never freeze brisket before cooking for a comp. I know for certain better cooks than me do.

I dont know if it is a good idea or not, but in my case I will have zero choice. I get paid once a month and if I want decent quality meats, I have to travel. For example on June 2nd I will be traveling 2 hours to get to a Sams and I will be buying my comp meats for June 15-16 and another contest June 22-23. All my meats will go right into the freezer when I get home.

I seem to recall some disscussion about how fast it freezes. Something to the effect that if it freezes slowly that larger ice crystals form and can tear the protein and effect texture, but when quickly frozen the ice crytals are much smaller and no real damage?

I am sure someone is much more kowlegable on this than me... I have never noticed much difference in ones I freeze or don't freeze.

I also get mine when they are on a good price and "store" them in the freezer until I need them. I honestly can not tell a difference between "fresh" or frozen and thawed..... I have won with both....

Put frozen Brisket on the smoker and cook at 325 deg for 2 hrs and slice & turn in...Works for us..good luck.

Back