BBQ Brethren "Food You Eat With Your Hands" Throwdown

H0rns, that is really nice. I love it when something different shows up and that is a great tutorial! I'm lusting after the food ...

Thank you Gore!

and the Shun. I was trying to talk myself into that one for Christmas. Is it as wonderful as it looks?

That Shun scalloped knife is my most used b/c of it's versatility. Keep in mind I have Henkels, Globals, and other Shuns (my second most used knife is the Ken Onion chef knife). I would highly recommend getting one.

WOW! Thanks
Never knew how to make sopas before.,,,,,
I love you guys. Always teaching me something new.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

WOW! Thanks
Never knew how to make sopas before.,,,,,
I love you guys. Always teaching me something new.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

You're welcome. Since these were made with the addition of a potato they had the taste of a very fluffy/light french fry. Crispy outer shell with fluffy potato tasting interior.

I just wish I had taken one of the golden brown ones for the pic rather than waiting till half time. As you can tell they browned up a bit as I kept the on the warmer.

Rub Crusted Turkey Legs

Found some turkey legs on sale this week and said what better hand held food than legs. I took some of our BBQ rub and gave them a liberal coat before hitting the rig. Yes I used the rig for 9 legs a bit of overkill but worth it. As you can see I got a new toy but thats for another throwdown. I smoked them for 2 hrs and they were excellent. Thanks for looking.....

Last edited:
OK this is going to be short and... delicious.
Valentines day being Monday we are on Class Card production mode here
and not a lot of time to fuss with cooking.

Pure and simple, tortilla chips, pulled pork and sharp cheddar cheese.
I was going to use dragon but we were fresh out. FYI, pulled pork is an
excellent substitute.

IMG_1268.jpg

Then topped with some sauteed onions and peppers

IMG_1273.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Those are some excellent looking turkey wings, love the surface texture. Oooo, nachos!

Wooo Hooo!

Here's my entry... Beef Short Ribs TO DIE FOR!!! They might not look at that good, but they were better than anything I have ever done before....

Here's the whole thread for the entry!

Here's my son chowing down... hands on!

DSC_0295_1746.jpg

And the entry photo below!
DSC_0287_1738.jpg

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Holy plethora! What great dang entry's there folks:thumb: I getting kinda stymied here now. Well, I'm going with frankfurters by golly! Yep, frankfurters, see ya'll in a while:-D

Rib Trim Frankfurters

Homemade frankfurters. I've been wanting to try this for a while, but was holding out for a large capacity food processor, which still hasn't happened. I had six pounds of rib trimmings and double ground the meat in my smaller grinder. I pulled out one pound for a couple of pork burgers:-D.
franks1.jpg

franks3.jpg

I then took all the spices, cure #1, powdered milk and ground together to a powdered sugar consistency and mixed, along with some ice cold water, into the five pounds of ground pork.

franks2.jpg

The frankfurter mixture was placed into the freezer until the top was firm.
franks4.jpg

The mixture was then emulsified with the food processor. Because the processor is so small, it took seven batches to get all of the meat emulsified, more water added as well.
franks5.jpg

franks6.jpg

The ground pork burger compared to the emulsified sausage mixture.
franks7.jpg

Linked in natural hog casings
franks8.jpg

I smoked at 130* for 2 hours and then raised the smoker temp to 165*, no more smoke. I don't have a steam cabinet so when the franks had an IT of 138, I slide a large pot of boiling water into the smoker to add moisture. The frankfurters were brought out at 148*. Dunked into ice water to stop the cooking.
franks9.jpg

franks10.jpg

I'm not at all unhappy with the texture
franks11.jpg

I figured I'd do me up a foot long, chili, cheese, jalapeno and mustard frankfurter, and eat it!
Please use this for the entry pic.
franks14.jpg

Ya ain't gonna get a "snap" like this with a skinless frank:-D. Thanks for looking!
franks12.jpg

Recipe please Bluey! I LOVE that Dog!
Thanks! No problem on the recipe.
For five lbs. (not too lean) I used rib trim, no added fat. Worked out fine.
1 teaspoon(t) cure#1
2 tablespoon(T) paprika
3 T ground mustard
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t white pepper
1/2 t ground celery seeds
1/2 T mace
1/2 t garlic powder
2 T salt
1 cup non fat powdered milk
2 T powdered dextrose
1 cup ice water
If you're using a food processor after super fine grinding, you'll need to add a bit more water, the motor will let you know when! And keep it dang cold throughout the whole process.
Before smoking, hang at room temp for an hour.
Place in preheated, 130*, smoker for 30 minutes to dry the natural casings, then apply smoke for a couple of hours, then (no more smoke) gradually raise smoker temp to 165. When the dogs get to 135 or so, you're supposed to place the dogs into a steam cabinet and cook off to 152*IT. I used a pot of boiling water, and pulled at 148 because I'm gonna grill them all before eating.

Back