Brisket probe location

F

Fr8dog777

I am getting ready to smoke another brisket and after looking at a whole brisket I'm curious where you would stick the thermometer probe. In the point, flat, or where the two meet? There is a huge difference in thickness of this brisket between the point end and the flat end? The flat end is about 1 1/4 thick and the point is about 6 1/2 inches thick so I'm sure doneness will come at different times between the two ends.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I put the thermometer in the thick part of the flat, just next to the point. I tend to angle it in a bit to cross the grain.

I put the probe in the thickest part of the lean meat. Now, keep in mind, the probe is just an indicator of when to start checking the brisket for tenderness. It won't necessarily tell you when the brisket is done.

I put the monitoring probe in the thickest part of the lean meat (usually the point) and when the probe reaches my desired temp, I start probing with my Thermapen all around the brisket until the probe goes in the meat like it were being stuck in butter. Tenderness is the indicator of doneness more than temp.

You should keep it in your drawer or take wire cutters and cut off the wire that goes into the probe, keep that and throw the gauge away. Now that you have cut off the part that screws everyone up... use it to check the brisket... if it goes through like butter... then you are done.

I probe it all over and when both the flat and the point are so soft the probe slides in like a red hot knife through butter then it's done.

Feel free to use an icepick. It'll give you all the info you need.

Thanks

Thanks all. I didn't want to ruffle any feathers but from a newbie ( this is my second brisket) I thought I'd reach out for some experienced advice.

I'm not going to cut the wires and inject anything in my rear but I think I will try the probe for the feel of butter. I could really twist that last line butt.... Lol.

I guess as a newbie a temperature indication is/was my crutch. I was under the impression that temperature would at least tell me about when to probe for the butter feel. If all fails I'm sure I can get some pizzas delivered. :icon_blush:

No problem, bro. You will get a lot of opinions when it comes to brisket and the ones you got in this thread will all work. You will have to work through this and find what works for you.

When dealing with the internal temp of a BBQ brisket, you have to keep in mind the temp at which you are cooking it. The lower the cooking temp the lower the internal temp will usually be when tender. But, the lower the cooking temp the longer it will take to reach the right tenderness.

So, if you are cooking the brisket at around 225F then expect a long cook with an internal temp of around 190F to get the right tenderness. If you are cooking at around 275F to 300F then expect the internal temp to be around 205F before you begin to get the right tenderness.

Keep at it, bro and soon you will have a good handle on what works for you. But, use the internal temp only as a notice to begin probing not for when the brisket is done.

When you're starting out, use the probe to tell you when to start checking for tenderness. When it hits 185, that's when you should start checking. If the flat is still giving resistance or tough, check again in another 45 minutes to an hour. Don't go opening that thing up every 15 to 30 minutes to check though...let it cook. When the tops off you're not cooking. Unless it's a UDS, in which case you're making the temp go UP!

yep, i tried a few things from reading a lot. then i picked the things that made sense to me and so far i have not had a bad one. remember that the meat is always gonna be differant so it will be done when its done.

Back