hath- great build! I saw it in your other thread. I'm thinking of something similar, but the drum won't be attached, so I can remove it for cleaning/service/whatever.

Mostly you need to be able to drill a number of holes of various sizes. There are small ones for the bolts or whatever that you're going to use to hold your grates in place, then there are larger ones for intake and exhaust. You can control the size of your intakes with magnets. I suppose if you were going to 'McGyver one, you could punch holes with the hammer and screwdriver, bringing 'ugly' to a whole new level!

If you can beg/borrow/buy a cheap drill motor, Harbor Freight sells step drills for like $14 on sale that will drill all of your various sized holes.

Thank you so much! I want to go to Home Depot and get a drill right away. Can you recommend me a cheap drill from that store, or Lowes?

I want this to be done right, but cheaply right! I'm all for ugly!

VERY nice setup, hath! I love the covered but extremely handy intake, as well as the huge side table. What is the counter top made from?

I've yet to build my UDS, so forgive the uninformed question... do you notice any problems arising from the intake air all rushing in from one side? Uneven burning? If it was burning unevenly, would you even be able to tell? I've been meaning to ask this question... ;-)

-Rodney

thank you sir... this is my second build and both have the intake set up this way. Ive nothing to compare against because this is how Ive always done it... but I have no problems with how it burns and Ive seen it done this way in other builds. The top is made out of MDF... I have a cover so im not too worried about it holding up too much.. and if it does fail Ill just replace it with something else.. maybe metal.

thank you sir... this is my second build and both have the intake set up this way. Ive nothing to compare against because this is how Ive always done it... but I have no problems with how it burns and Ive seen it done this way in other builds. The top is made out of MDF... I have a cover so im not too worried about it holding up too much.. and if it does fail Ill just replace it with something else.. maybe metal.

Right on. I just might do this instead of the simpler side table setup I was planning to do (exactly like your first build, actually). We'll see.

So, people say you can hit over 400 deg. F with three open 3/4" pipes at the bottom. Given that these pipes are .82" ID, three of them is equivalent to a single 1.42" opening, so 1.5" exhaust piping. Looks like you're running about 2", right? If so, your intake is about twice the size of three 3/4" pipes. Do you end up running the intake at about 1/4 open area to hit about 250?

Right on. I just might do this instead of the simpler side table setup I was planning to do (exactly like your first build, actually). We'll see.

So, people say you can hit over 400 deg. F with three open 3/4" pipes at the bottom. Given that these pipes are .82" ID, three of them is equivalent to a single 1.42" opening, so 1.5" exhaust piping. Looks like you're running about 2", right? If so, your intake is about twice the size of three 3/4" pipes. Do you end up running the intake at about 1/4 open area to hit about 250?

Yeah thats sounds about right... depends on how cold it is. I ran a cook in our shop and it was open only a sliver.

I have 0 tools.....Well I only have screw drivers, hammers, and nails...maybe sand paper. :mad:

I have my eyes on a 55 gallon with a removable top, but havent pulled the trigger just yet. I'm calculating costs first.

What tools do I need to buy to build a super simple UDS?

I think I could do it with a: hammer, chisel, drill, and one 1/4" bit. The rest is just some parts to cover and hold stuff. Wouldn't be pretty by any means but doable.

Just sayin........:biggrin::biggrin:

Paul B
SS UDS

If you are doing nipples for inlets you will need a 1" hole saw for metal.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned yet but thought I should share...

If anyone needs a lid for a closed top drum I saw these 22.5" cheapy grills for $29 at Big Lots this past weekend. They were boxed so I couldn't tell how thick they were.

http://www.biglots.com/Outdoorlife/item.aspx?cid=60&scid=217&iid=7351

That's the exact grill I bought to use for a lid. It fits pretty decent.. a little tight, but I think it'll flex enough to fit nicely, I think.

149fee1b.jpg

It was a little tight....took a p grinder and trimmed the rim down as much as I could to make it fit....I actually wanted the uniflame lid because it comes with hinges, but I couldn't beat the price!!

Great pics... Same donor grill I have. Did you have to do anything to the lid to get it to fit? Mine seems just a little tight. Wondering if you had the same issue. Thanks.

I flared the flange on the lid a little and it fit the bottom of my open head drum. It is a very good fit. I am going to use it for my next build. I have drilled all the holes in my basic build and just have to burn it, paint and assemble and then I will start work on the big lots lid build.

ok, extremely clueless question coming up. Does the kettle lid fit inside the barrel edge or is it manipulated to fit over the outside of the barrel edge?

ok, extremely clueless question coming up. Does the kettle lid fit inside the barrel edge or is it manipulated to fit over the outside of the barrel edge?

Lid fits outside the rim...manipulation is usually needed for this too. :/

Should fit on the outside of the edge. Mine (22 inch Weber Kettle lid) fits my UDS perfectly. Have to push it down a bit, but it seals up great.

It goes on the outside of the rim. I used a grinder to trim the rim instead of pounding the lid to fit over the rim. Now if it would fit inside the rim that would work also, just leave a little lip on the inside of the drum for it to sit on.

Back