Stumps/Superior Clone build.

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I have finally started my clone build. Am taking pic along the way so here is the album if you would like to see it. Will update as I get any work done.
frame1.jpg

100_1962_00.jpg

100_1969-1.jpg

100_1967.jpg

100_1981.jpg

100_1980.jpg

100_1979.jpg

100_1978.jpg

100_1977.jpg

Any questions feel free to pm me.

I built a clone a few years back. One thing you need to do is rotate the firebox grate 90 deg. When you shut things down and the fire goes out it is really hard to remove the grate because the hunks of charcoal stick down thru the bars and hang up. If you rotate the grate, this wont be a problem.

NUTZ

Looking good keep after it.For the grate in my current build I had one cut out with 1" squares cut in it.

I really like the Superior stuff. The interior shots I have seen show an amazing level of craftsmanship.

I do like the clone builds, but am relegated to the mechanically declined forum.

I built a clone a few years back. One thing you need to do is rotate the firebox grate 90 deg. When you shut things down and the fire goes out it is really hard to remove the grate because the hunks of charcoal stick down thru the bars and hang up. If you rotate the grate, this wont be a problem.

NUTZ

I see that now. Will change it to go the other way.

looking good:) there is just something special about building your own and upgrading it along the way. It gives your food that flavor of pride :)

P.S> that's the good pride not the bad pride lol

I am planning on building an insulated clone. What will you insulate yours with. and where did you get the insulation?

When your building your clone are you looking at one or just going off what others have tried. After buying a stumps I could see that my clone drawings were WAY different than I thought for the chute and how it is attached to the cook chamber. Nice job so far on the build.

I am planning on building an insulated clone. What will you insulate yours with. and where did you get the insulation?

Have not gotten the insulation yet. Not sure what I will use.
when I figure it out I will let you know.

I will be at North Platte Honkytonk. Stop by and we can chat over some barley pops.

When your building your clone are you looking at one or just going off what others have tried. After buying a stumps I could see that my clone drawings were WAY different than I thought for the chute and how it is attached to the cook chamber. Nice job so far on the build.

I have researched through the web on them. Have had some help from another website that specializes in clones. And kinda going by the seat of my pants. Combining 2 different smokers into one. Hope it works!

I used "rock wool " insulation in mine. I think it is rated as good to 1000 deg.

NUTZ

More work today...3/19

Got the outsides cut and test fit. Also got the insides welded in. Fire and ash box welded on. coming together well.
100_1995.jpg

100_1991.jpg

100_1989.jpg

Hopefully the weather stays good for the weekend so I can get more done.

Lookin good Micheal. When we built our cookers, I couldnt wait to start a fire in it. Then we got them done and we were nervous. When are you planning on completion?

Lookin good Micheal. When we built our cookers, I couldnt wait to start a fire in it. Then we got them done and we were nervous. When are you planning on completion?

I only get to work on it a couple days a week for a few hours so I am wanting to finish in about 2 weeks.
need to be done by middle April so I can test it before comps start in May.

update 3/29

Did some work today.
Got the shelf rails welded in and anti-tippers in.
100_2004.jpg

Now I tried something different.
100_1999.jpg

This is the front. Notice anything?
100_2001.jpg

100_2003.jpg

I made 2 doors. They overlap to make a seal in the middle. Also will put a thin strip of hi-temp silicone to get an airtight seal.
100_2007.jpg

This is the overlap on the inside. The outside skin will overlap from the top down. Going to put the ceramic rope on the body instead of the doors. To give it a tight seal. Trial fit looks good.

Why 2 doors you ask? Well I figure most of the time I will be using the top 2/3 of the smoker. So keep the heat in. There is a shelf that comes out right at the top of the bottom door. The way I have the heat entering from the back it will not go straight out everytime I open the door. At least in my thoughts.

Got to do some work today.

last week I welded the chute on.
100_2009.jpg

today started the frame around the firebox and chute.
100_2011.jpg

100_2013.jpg

And cut the top plate for around the chute where I am going to hinge the lid.
100_2015.jpg

Looking good!

Wish it was not so far from Parker to Ft. Collins, would like to see here close up!

Back