How many turkeys in a Large BGE?

jeffbokc

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This is a great forum. Lots to learn.
I'm getting ready to smoke 2 turkeys, about 12 to 14 lbs each. Do you think they both will fit in a Large size BGE? I prefer to cook them laying down but can do them in a vertical roaster, too (referring to the birds, not to me!).

Can't imagine them both fitting in a L Egg, but I can't say I've tried.

I don't think you will fit both on a large with out an adjustable rig and then you would still need to spatchcock them.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the replies.

Time to think of Plan B. Either do one in the oven and the other in the egg, or cook them one after the other. Would it still be OK if I finish a turkey 4 hours before eating it (so I can cook turkey number 2)?

I bought a vertical turkey roaster from Cabelas hoping it would fit in a Large with a 12 lb'r, but its too tall, had to go the roast rack route.

Have you got a gasser with a rotisserie? Just a thought. :idea:

I think it will hold for 4 hours just fine. I would separate the pieces w/out carving them and hold them in a buttery herb mixture, basting them every now and then.

I would suggest getting the rack expander, it adds an extra shelf to the egg, I bought one for around 20 bucks and it made it possible to do 4 large butts

I bought a vertical turkey roaster from Cabelas hoping it would fit in a Large with a 12 lb'r, but its too tall, had to go the roast rack route.

I was just thinking about getting one of those. Thanks for the heads up!

Back