• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe

I used Frank's Red Hot (Buffalo) Sauce (all I had on hand). Maybe I just need to try it with a different sauce?

That would be why IMOP. That stuff is vinegary for sure and a little goes a long way.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)
Should be the sauce to go for on pulled pork. I only have to decide on hot sauce (Tabasco, Habanero or Sriracha) and mustard (haven't seen that really yellow stuff here before, but maybe I just wasn't looking).

But it just came to mind, Tabasco & Habanero come in really tiny bottles here (~ 2 fl.oz), and we usually only use a few drops to spice things up, so that's not really an option. Which hot sauce did you use exactly? We have Sriracha in 15.39 fl.oz squeeze bottles, but it's really hot as well and I can't imagine using 1/4 cup of it in relation to the amounts of the other ingredients. :confused:

Should be the sauce to go for on pulled pork. I only have to decide on hot sauce (Tabasco, Habanero or Sriracha) and mustard (haven't seen that really yellow stuff here before, but maybe I just wasn't looking).

But it just came to mind, Tabasco & Habanero come in really tiny bottles here (~ 2 fl.oz), and we usually only use a few drops to spice things up, so that's not really an option. Which hot sauce did you use exactly? We have Sriracha in 15.39 fl.oz squeeze bottles, but it's really hot as well and I can't imagine using 1/4 cup of it in relation to the amounts of the other ingredients. :confused:

I use Texas Pete hot sauce. You could go with an extra 1/4 cup of vinegar and add fine grind cayenne to taste and get a similar flavor.

OK, I sipped it, put it on pork, chicken, beef, tossed salad, cucumbers, and fresh tomatoes. Tonight, I tried it on some fresh, sliced peaches. Wow!

picture.php

I made a bottle of this stuff about four weeks ago, and it's been sitting in my pantry ever since. I broke it out today and used it on some grilled chicken. It was fantastic. I plan on keeping a bottle of this around as a standard condiment in my house.
Bo, you should seriously consider bottling this stuff. I'd buy it.

Thanks Bo! Just whipped up a batch using Frank's Red Hot Original! It tasted really good on my finger so it will taste awesome on my pork!!:laugh::laugh:

I'm glad you folks like it. It's great to know that I can give back to the brethren. This sauce is a labor of love and I hope that it's something more and more brethren will enjoy and build upon.

Want to Give you a Big thanks!! I did a big cook for the AF Squadron I work with and wanted different BBQ sauce so everyone felt like they were home. So I used yours as I have never messed with a Vinegar based sauce. To go with my others. I got RAVE reviews!! Thanks a ton! I hope I can one day repay you for sharing this recipe!

pwa

Want to Give you a Big thanks!! I did a big cook for the AF Squadron I work with and wanted different BBQ sauce so everyone felt like they were home. So I used yours as I have never messed with a Vinegar based sauce. To go with my others. I got RAVE reviews!! Thanks a ton! I hope I can one day repay you for sharing this recipe!

pwa

That's got to be the greatest compliment I could ever hope for, thanks! I'm glad the airmen and airwomen liked it!

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
BTW, brethren, to make sure we honor the BBQ men and women that inspired this sauce, please let others know that it is called Shack Attack. Ol' Shack deserves a lot of the credit. It was his story that inspired the sauce recipe. In Virginia, a lot of former slaves that were freed at the end of the civil war made a living by cooking BBQ using the techniques they learned while enslaved. This sauce is a tribute to every one of them.

I want their stories told and I want them to get the credit they deserve for what they created cooking distinctly American BBQ. It was the contribution of thousands of nameless great BBQ cooks that had a great deal to do with what we all enjoy nowadays as BBQ.

Made the original batch of this on Monday and will try it out on some PP this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.

Used a modified version of this in a finishing glaze on pork loin the other night....crazy good! Thanks for sharing with us!

Last edited:
I just made my first batch:

03_vinegar_based_sauce.jpg

I had to deviate from the original recipe as follows:
1 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
As suggested I replaced the 1/4 cup Hot Sauce with 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, because we only have Tabasco and Habanero in tiny expensive bottles, and Sriracha comes with added sugar and some other stuff, that I think should not go into such a fine and all natural product. The vinegar + cayenne had a really nice touch, not too hot, but with an enjoyable tangy kick.

I don't know how many kinds of Paprika you have available over there in powder form, but we always only use Sweet Paprika for rubs and sauces, so it was the logical thing to use for this recipe.

I know there is always a discussion going on about iodized salt, but table or kitchen salt is almost always iodized here, and the only alternative would have been sea salt, but I'm fine with table salt in this mix.

We don't have that really yellow cheap mustard, so when it's about mustard, it's tarragon, which comes in tangy and sweet flavors, I used the tangy one for this sauce.

The result is really surprising. At first I had reservations the sauce could get too thin due to the high amount of liquid, but once it left the blender, is really was a nice smooth sauce with an extraordinary flavor profile. Tangy, very vinegary with a slight kick of hotness. It was hard to stop tasting it, so it has to be good! It will come to good use for this Sunday's pork butt.

Some remaining questions:

• Do I want to store this sauce in the fridge, or at room temperature?
  • Do I want to shake the bottle once daily till it's used, or just let it sit around?
  • Is there an estimated expiry date or a "best before" opinion?

Sounds like a great version!

1. I leave mine on the counter at room temp
2. I only shake it when I use it, I haven't noticed it to separate (shouldn't since there is no oil/fat)
3. Since it is a vinegar sauce, it would theoretically out last us all, but I don't think it would hurt to go 6 months or more, though it won't last that long I bet :rolleyes:

Back