• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another Competition Dessert Attempt

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK... I think this one will work...

Chocolate-Strawberry Paninis

Take a pre-made pound cake and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spread a thin layer of Nutella chocolate-hazelnut spread onto one slice, and arrange a layer of thinly sliced strawberries on top of that, and place another slice on top of the strawberries. Spray each side with a light coat of butter-flavored non-stick spray and grill until light brown in a panini press.

So... We won't have a panini press at the competition, but I put the panini on a cast iron griddle pan and then put a weight on top of that, and cooked both sides until brown.

In the picture with the full plate, I didn't spray the pan, so the panini stuck, but they held together. I then did one more, this time spraying the pan, and it came out much better.

Whaddya think?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=kgobm78.scdml3o&x=0&y=-racy6z

Ron

Good to meet you in South Dakota. I'm glad you made the effort to come to town on that Friday. That was cool.

Here is our rule of thumb for dessert entries. People love fat on the tongue. Ice cream, whipped cream, cheesecake, creme brulee, Chantilly cream etc. Chocolate is heavy after eating four categories of meat. Mainstream ideas work best. My wife has a killer carrot cake recipe, but when there are six people on a table, you know you're going to hit at least one of them that doesn't like nuts or (insert just about anything here). I have it on good authority that among all of the decadent desserts presented at the Jack Daniel's one year, apple crisp with ice cream won the thing.

Now, having said that, I really want to try your recipe.

Hi Rod... It was nice meeting you as well. Thanks for the advice. I will probably add a dollop of strawberry whipped cream on top of each piece to get that fatty mouthfeel. The chocolate in this is pretty light, so I don't think it would be a problem, but its tough to say for sure.

Won't know until we try, but hey, it's worth a shot.

We may have to switch over to some form of icecream next year. Long way off mod.

Sounds like a good recipe Ron. The pics look good!

Ron_L said:
OK... I think this one will work...

Chocolate-Strawberry Paninis

Take a pre-made pound cake and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spread a thin layer of Nutella chocolate-hazelnut spread onto one slice, and arrange a layer of thinly sliced strawberries on top of that, and place another slice on top of the strawberries. Spray each side with a light coat of butter-flavored non-stick spray and grill until light brown in a panini press.

So... We won't have a panini press at the competition, but I put the panini on a cast iron griddle pan and then put a weight on top of that, and cooked both sides until brown.

In the picture with the full plate, I didn't spray the pan, so the panini stuck, but they held together. I then did one more, this time spraying the pan, and it came out much better.

Whaddya think?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=kgobm78.scdml3o&x=0&y=-racy6z

I know what you watched. 8)

Back