Soaking wood in alcohol?

10elawncare

I was just sitting here having a nice cold capt & coke and in my brainstorming session I was thinking about soaking some wood chips in J.D or another whiskey. What do you all think, think it will soak up any of the whiskey and give off a good smell? I have never wasted J.D in that manner as that would be alcohol abuse and that's just against the law ! :mod:

just buy the JD oak barrel chips, that are made from the actual barrels that age JD to it's wonderfulness, way cheaper

I have a couple bags of JD oak chips that I use with the gas grill and they are great.

Liquid JD is best used to lubricate the grill master and is great also.

I was just sitting here having a nice cold capt & coke and in my brainstorming session I was thinking about soaking some wood chips in J.D or another whiskey. What do you all think, think it will soak up any of the whiskey and give off a good smell? I have never wasted J.D in that manner as that would be alcohol abuse and that's just against the law ! :mod:

Put equal parts of Captain and apple juice in your spray bottle. When ever you open the lid give the meat a few squirts, when you close the lid give the cook a few squirts.

Works very well!

Jeff

I say give it a try, I am thinking you may need to choose the right wood to start.

I was unaware that they made chips out of whiskey barrels. Awesome. Know of any place that might carry them? Or is it just an innernet type thing? I think I might try the app/jd spray seemings I made a JD bbq sauce (no where close to comm. brand might I add) the next time I put some ribs on. But I'm putting some chix on tonight I am trying a lime/corona spritz my neighbor uses when he makes tacos so I will see how that goes. I really don't want to be standing over the smoker and spray alcohol on it, I'm losing my hair enough I don't need any help!

Put equal parts of Captain and apple juice in your spray bottle. When ever you open the lid give the meat a few squirts, when you close the lid give the cook a few squirts.

Works very well!

Jeff

To paraphrase the late, great Justin Wilson: "Put a little spritz on da meat... put a little spritz in da cook... put a little more spritz in da cook..." :laugh:

I've soaked wood chips with cheap bourbon (not as sacrilious) and it works well. I like the spritz idea better though. Gonna try that next time.

The problem with the JD barrel chips is that they're chips. The chips smell great, but don't last long. I wish they made barrel chunks. Of course, and soaking chunks in whiskey won't solve that problem because the liquid doesn't really soak very far. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv7y1TWyKEw

In sum, drink a lot of whiskey then exhale into your air vents.

You can soak wood if you like, but unless your container is sealed it's going to be a LOT cheaper to buy the JD product if you want a similar result. That whiskey sits in the barrel for a long time. The expansion and contraction of the wood due to temp changes in the barrel house plays a role in the penetration of the whiskey as well. That's difficult to duplicate at home.

Mixing Captain and apple juice and spritzing on the meat ... finally someone has
found a good use for Captain!

Internalizing the JD will effect whatever you consume right after that, plus mellow your mood. Much more pleasant and efficient with no worry about flame up from alcohol on the smoker.

Back