New Guy and a new pit build...

The Build's looking real good so far.. Just make sure you don't skimp on the thickness of the firebox. I just finished a build about a month or so ago. Check it out if you'd like, the link is in my sig. I look forward to seeing your progress. I'll be back to this thread. Best of luck. (and im sure you'll get the hang of the welding, its not all that hard.)

Cheers

The Build's looking real good so far.. Just make sure you don't skimp on the thickness of the firebox. I just finished a build about a month or so ago. Check it out if you'd like, the link is in my sig. I look forward to seeing your progress. I'll be back to this thread. Best of luck. (and im sure you'll get the hang of the welding, its not all that hard.)

Cheers

Thanks Phrasty, I am still thinking about and searching for my firebox material. You think I am building a smoker and didn't see your build yet???:becky::becky: I really enjoyed looking though yours(several times already). You made a stellar pit, you should be pround of that thing!

>>John

Looks great!

It's very motivational to see someone tackle this kind of project with entry level welding experience. I've never welded but I'd like to learn. I could use some basic welding skills with some of the components I've been coming up with for my brick fire pit project. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your welding setup cost? Maybe I'll splurge someday and buy myself some welding equipment. Besides, someday, I'd like to put together something very similar to what you're doing (maybe a bit smaller and without the vertical unit though). So, it would definitely come in handy in the future.

Also, what is that you're using to cut through the tank? I could use some metal cutting capabilities too.

Looks great!

It's very motivational to see someone tackle this kind of project with entry level welding experience. I've never welded but I'd like to learn. I could use some basic welding skills with some of the components I've been coming up with for my brick fire pit project. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your welding setup cost? Maybe I'll splurge someday and buy myself some welding equipment. Besides, someday, I'd like to put together something very similar to what you're doing (maybe a bit smaller and without the vertical unit though). So, it would definitely come in handy in the future.

Also, what is that you're using to cut through the tank? I could use some metal cutting capabilities too.

Thank you, my welder is a 120 arc welder on sale :

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/arc-welders/120-amp-arc-welder-98870.html

My cutter is a angle grinder(CL for $20) with cutting disks 4 1/2(HD FOR @ $2 A piece)

I also have used a Ryobi reciprocating saw.

Hope you make the plunge and build you a pit!

>>John

Got the door for the vertical tank almost cut out and realized that I had welded on the seals after each cut. I have read doing this help the door not warp, I have about 1 inch left to cut through on one cut and the door is free..hope it turns out okay....

I am going to tack weld the other cut just to hold the door while I weld on the seal....that should work.

First timer... looking forward to watching the build, any chance of some more Pics its great to see how its commin togeather. Just got finished looking at Phrasty's build, very impressive. I like your idea of adding a vertical tank. trying to get some ideas myself.

Build onnnnnn.

First timer... looking forward to watching the build, any chance of some more Pics its great to see how its commin togeather. Just got finished looking at Phrasty's build, very impressive. I like your idea of adding a vertical tank. trying to get some ideas myself.

Build onnnnnn.

Thanks! I will be posting more pics as I move along...I normally take pictures after I finish a portion because this is my first build also. I know it does help to see more pics...I'll work on that:thumb:

Hey All,

I got the door cut out and the seals on the vertical tank. I got a little bit of warping out on the door, the seals about 7 in from the hinges are hitting and causing the door to not shut all the way unless I push it down. I am hoping to get the tanks together this weekend but I want to get the pit up on a stand(that I don't have yet)

Tomorrow I put in the angle iron for the shelves...pics to come.

I am on the hunt for expanded metal and 2 x 2 angle iron or some 2 in pipe fro the frame for the whole pit. Oh and the fire box, I need my fire box. I am waiting to find the right free or cheep material.

grill15.jpg

Thanks fro looking!!

>>John

The general idea......

grill16.jpg

Slow going time wise.....welded the motor mount back on to help with connecting the vertical tank and it was a pain and a ton of grinding to get the curve right and flush with the tank. did some more welding and put the door stop.....I have a list a mile long of things to do. I am still searching for the material for the frame. Next up connect the vertical tank and building the firebox.

DSC03956.jpg

DSC03957.jpg

DSC03958.jpg

Lookin' good so far!

Thanks, I have done more but I am behind on pictures. It's rough to document your first because you are learning as you go so I have some extra steps in there...lol:becky:

Man, this is looking great so far John! You making good progress! I look forward to the rest of the pics!

Cheers

Going to pick up 40 feet of 1/8 2x2 angle iron for the frame now...so I can get this puppy up off the ground. Pics to come.

Happy smokin today.

>>John

Back