• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker build-slowly but surely

I didn't get a whole lot done this weekend. My dad came down and wanted to work on our Texas man sized deer blind. I'll post a pic of it!!! Kinda crazy but it'll be cool when it finished.

I did spend a couple hours getting stuff ready to be plasma cut tomorrow after jury duty. I'll also pick up the firebox door tomorrow.

The box now has a grate with 4" of space underneath and it's removable.
View attachment 68915

This is the flange for the stack. I finally drilled the holes to bolt it down. I haven't bought the stack yet because I don't know how long to get it so if there is a jambo owner watching please measure the stack an tell me how tall it is.
View attachment 68916

Last edited:
I getting the door finished up. I plan on having 2 separate intakes. Both will be 6" plugsI cut out of the flanges for the stack. Each plug will have a 2" hole and an 1 3/8" hole. By turning the plug the hole size can be adjusted.

My question is will that be big enough holes?

View attachment 69072

Last edited:
There is a sizing calculator on this site somewhere that gets you a round about number for your airflow holes. Another thought, have you considered using ball valves? I wish I had done it for mine. They are super easy to set consistently time after time.

outstanding pics, can't wait to see the end result

If I got all my ducks in a row it'll cook and operate like a jambo. But we will see!!

Ok I'm back at it finally, school clothes and football equipment has put the whoop on the ol' finances. I'm gonna get back to work on it today and will post some pics this weekend. I should be ready for powder coating next weekend.

Muscrat,
Any updates on your build or have I missed another thread for this thing?

Looking very sexy so far. That solid steel skin must be heavy! I'm diggin' the build. I may have overlooked it but how long is your chamber and what is the diameter? My Jambo clone was built 6' w/ 28" diameter--the smoke stack on it is 36" and 6" in diameter if I'm not mistaken..which is actually working out perfect. We have two round inlets in the fb door about 6" in diameter. The flow is great. If your dimensions are similar, I'd say your stack would be fine in this neighborhood. It's been awhile since we cut and measured everything. We used a calculator to get everything to the right size (except the fb--we made ours a little bigger than recommended--which is okay since we didn't go smaller).

So far, I'm liking yours much more than mine but the link of our semi finished build is in my sig if you want to look. I included a lot of the data in the thread if it'll help close any gaps for you.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking about starting on the replacement firebox for mine thanks to you and TWSSB. Your both a bad influence on me. My wife will know where I am for hours at a time and won't be out spending money at the local man malls (Cabala's/Fleet Farm). It's all on you both. Seriously though, killer job on the smoker. It would be great to meet up at a comp sometime and snag a photo of them all together.

Wow that is really nice been thinking for some time of building something similiar but reverse flow. Again very nice work and craftsmanship

Looking very sexy so far. That solid steel skin must be heavy! I'm diggin' the build. I may have overlooked it but how long is your chamber and what is the diameter? My Jambo clone was built 6' w/ 28" diameter--the smoke stack on it is 36" and 6" in diameter if I'm not mistaken..which is actually working out perfect. We have two round inlets in the fb door about 6" in diameter. The flow is great. If your dimensions are similar, I'd say your stack would be fine in this neighborhood. It's been awhile since we cut and measured everything. We used a calculator to get everything to the right size (except the fb--we made ours a little bigger than recommended--which is okay since we didn't go smaller).

So far, I'm liking yours much more than mine but the link of our semi finished build is in my sig if you want to look. I included a lot of the data in the thread if it'll help close any gaps for you.

Thanks for the compliments. I did follow ur build. Its pretty sweet.

The chamber is 26" x 5'. The stack is 5". It draws real well. With the stack flapper wide open the doors don't leak smoke.

Muscrat fantastic job on this build, I just read everything from start to finish and I'm in awe... you do great work! I am not mechanically inclined in the slightest but really appreciate people who have the skill set to build things from scratch. Great work brother, this is amazing!

Back