PBC mods - Who's done what?

I have had no problems with magnet strips melting. They show absolutely no signs of wear or damage at all

Tried the Stubbs charcoal on a packer brisket this weekend (Sunday) about a 10 hour cook, wrapped at 165....Came out very good, just the flat was very slightly dry (Probably me, not the charcoal..)

I'm hooked on Stubbs now - Good burn and low ash....

Anyone know of an interface I can use to log temps and display them graphically on my laptop? (maybe I'll post that in another thread...)

This post is making the wait for my PBC very hard :)

I love my PBC. I like to use Stubbs and kingsford competition. I've done a couple of things to my PBC, but I don't have any pics since I'm out of town. The first and most important mod was my UDS probe mod. Grab an angle grinder and slice a slit into the lip of the drum so I can fit my two maverick probes in there. Just lay the meat down and put the wires into the slit, no feeding the wires through any grommets.

Second, I replaced the screw on the intake with a stainless steel wing nut and bolt. That way I can easily open or close the intake as I please. Then I stuff a piece of tin foil in there to cover up the open space when the intake is in closed position. That way I can snuff out the coals.

Lastly, I welded a small 90 degree elbow onto the bar that goes across the firebox. I used the rest of the stainless steel rod to fashion a hook so I can now grab the firebox with my hook when using the minion method. This has made using the minion method much easier, since I don't have a torch. I also fashioned a pizza pan ash catcher which I can also remove with my hook. I'm always looking for ways to improve and tinker, so share your ideas!!!

What are you guys using under the cooker? I just ordered mine, but I'm nervous the heat will mess up the deck bump out that I have for my grilling area.

What are you guys using under the cooker? I just ordered mine, but I'm nervous the heat will mess up the deck bump out that I have for my grilling area.

I have a wood deck, I put one of those metal (aluminum) pans, that go underneath a hot water tank, under mine.

I had some leftover Stone tiles from a remodel to our house. so I put 6x1' tiles in an area & use them under both my PBC & my 18.5 kettle.

as I wait for my PBC

I usually start my coals with newspaper or a wax brick, but I guess I will be buying a chimney for my PBC.

I was looking at this one..

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7447-Compact-Rapidfire-Chimney/dp/B009IH0ICG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405620323&sr=8-2&keywords=chimney+starter"]Amazon.com : Weber 7447 Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter : Charcoal Starters : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LTGgg-MaL.@@AMEPARAM@@41LTGgg-MaL[/ame]

How much are you guys filling these to start your fire?

Cast Iron Grate.

I bought this at Amazon. The center grate is perfect.

• 81Kz8CSVFgL._SX522_.jpg

• Char-Broil Universal Cast Iron Kettle Grates

thinking about maybe trying to mod a diffuser in a couple inches off the coals for a couple of reasons, I have read here ( after I ordered my pbc ) that the ends of ribs closest to the coals get a little burnt and dry, and meat falling off the hooks, diffuser may very well help with both, what do you guys think ?

thinking about maybe trying to mod a diffuser in a couple inches off the coals for a couple of reasons, I have read here ( after I ordered my pbc ) that the ends of ribs closest to the coals get a little burnt and dry, and meat falling off the hooks, diffuser may very well help with both, what do you guys think ?

No need for diffuser. Food cooks very evenly on the PBC. If you have a really long rack of ribs you can cut them in half.

thnx bob, I have thought of that also, but I usually pack my cookers with a lot of meat , typical cook might look like this on my big ole stick cooker, 1 big packer brisket ( 13 to 15 lber) 3 racks of baby backs, 6 or 8 chicken halves and a lot of veggies ( a dozen or so of baked potatoes and a couple dozen ears of corn ) .... I know I wont be able to do near that on my pbc, but I am hoping I can do about that much meat, I like to cook outside , so I guess the veggies for the most part will be done in doors when I am using my pbc, oh well it will give the ole lady sumpin to do....

Congrats on the PBC. Youll love it. Its a great cooker and my favorite. I can tell you money well spent. Dont bother with a diffuser unless you plan to smoke cured sausage at 175* or something. Youll mess with the characteristics of the cooker. It functions just fine out of the box. As long as your ribs are 1" above coals and the lids is on you will never burn anything. Nothing will fall off the hooks if properly secured/hung.

I use my ceramic pizza stone over an oven rack and the pbc grate to make cured sausage,bacon, ham etc. I installed a themometer for that reason other than that you dont need a thermo.

20131128_124006.jpg

20131116_170523_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

20131121_185146.jpg

20131124_184853.jpg

20131117_010640_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

20131128_000728_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

20140704_152842.jpg

PBC Mods

New to BBQ and the PBC.

My initial mods were:
16" pizza pan, bolted to the feet of the coal basket. Makes for an easy clean up.
BBQ Guru Party Q temp controller, I know it's not really needed, but I am a bit of a control freak.
A V notch in the webber chimney starter. I bought the big one, not knowing there was a smaller version. It was hard to get the starter coals were I wanted them. Notch also shows me how full to fill it. About 40 coals.

Not really a mod, but I got some big round snuff magnets from an office supply store.

For accessories I got a Thermopen ( amazed at how well it works, I can do a temperature profile on that big brisket. ) Also a dual remote Maverick, which I have found not to be that accurate.

Loving the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 276
No need for diffuser. Food cooks very evenly on the PBC. If you have a really long rack of ribs you can cut them in half.
Certain kinds of diffusers have various uses like allowing you to crank up the heat and protect the meat, catch some grease but still let drippings hit the coals, still allows for some direct heat.... also can serve as a safety net like when i cooked a butt start to finish on the hooks.

It's not always about evening temps.

Holy thy diffuser

Back