• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "And Now For Something Completely Different!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

My official I don't know what I'm doing TD entry.

I really don't know what the TD is, I thought it was about marshmallows but apparently its not :noidea: but I knew the potential for a fun entry was there.
I really wanted to do ribs but been there done that and I'd probably get a Dilly Bar which really isn't a bad thing and could be fun.
Then I saw a thread, several actually titled my ribs taste like Ham. I thought to myself hmmmm, I don't think I've ever made ribs that tasted like ham.
That's when it hit me, "Fark that hurts" I said.
So began my quest to make HammyBack Ribs.

It started with the basic brine from the book Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn it soaked for just short of 24 hours.

Then I soaked and rinsed them off and put on a rack in the fridge overnight to equalize. Before going on the smoker I studded it with some cloves, it is a ham after all.

I needed a glaze for these farkers so I used Deguerre's Ham glaze sans HDD, glazed and pineappled at 141*

The racks on the sides of the HammyBacks are insurance in case of a total fail so we don't starve.

I've never done any of this before and I was worried if the ribs were brine'd long enough, are they gonna be too salty or just plain nasty. I ended up with HammyBack Ribs!!!!

Total success!! Not too salty tasted like ham and was cured all the way through.

So then I thought "Fark!! now what", so I just sliced some off the bones.

Then it hit me again, this time I was ready for it and it didn't hurt as much as the first time. I thought hmmmm.... I've never poached an egg or made hollandaise sauce, I have however toasted an English muffin before.

Vote pic below please.

I was very pleased how it all turned out thanks for looking and more important thanks for putting up with my senseless dribble. :thumb:

IMG_0722_zps6168d2ce.jpg

plate3_zps6020a983.jpg

money4.jpg

Drooling_homer.gif

Please accept this as my entry for this throwdown.

In before the deadline :clap2: (though I was sampling at 11:00 PM on Sunday night. :wink: )

This is goat smoked and braised with Adobo sauce. I can't recall having goat since our honeymoon decades ago and I've never cooked it before. I used the goat to make a taco with some shredded cheddar and romaine, cilantro, chopped scallion and tomato slices.

DSC_8748-PP.JPG

It came out good! Flavor is reminiscent of lamb but stronger and plays off well against the also strong Adobo sauce. I don't know if SWMBO will enjoy it. (I wish I had a video camera on when I told her I was smoking goat. The transition of expressions was priceless.) But I'll have no difficulty finishing it. :grin:

Cook thread is at http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2763345

Official Entry, (never entered one so WTH)

My First Brisket.

I decided to dive in and try my first brisket, I started out with a 5.5 lb full packer my BIL brought over from the cow they purchased. I trimmed it up and injected it with a little beef broth, Tiny bit of FRH, garlic, and Worcester. Next I rubbed it down with S&P, Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a tiny bit of cayenne and covered it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight for the cook on Saturday. HE also brought a couple beef ribs they had thawed out by accident and I rubbed them down with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria. I Fired up the UDS about 8:15 a.m. and let her settle in around 275-300 and threw on the brisky and beef ribs around 9 a.m. I let the beef ribs cook until about noon and we pulled them off and snacked on them for lunch, at 1:30 I wrapped the brisket up in Foil and added a little beef broth and threw it back on the pit. I got side tracked and about 3:45 I checked on it and it probed like butta so I pulled it off and put it in a cooler for dinner. Rested until around 5:30, pulled it off and sliced it up. All in all it had an amazing flavor, I think it could have been more moist as I think I over cooked it just a smidgen, I could not have missed the perfect window bu 30 minutes most. It did not fall apart but it also did not bend like I have learned means I nailed it but everyone loved it and it was not dried out so I will call this first brisky a success.

Rubbed and ready for smoke.

Wrapping it up to finish it off.

Sliced and ready to eat

Plated with Smoked mac n cheese and some veggies.

Please use this ^^^^^^as my official entry photo.

Official Entry, (never entered one so WTH)

Unfortunately, you still haven't entered one :-D

I hate to do this, but your entry is late. The rules in the first post state that entries have to be submitted by 6:00am Central Time today.

Sorry...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 1/3 through Sunday 1/12.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 1/13

Back