New Zealand Leg Of Lamb ala Phrasty

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, I had a different thread going but decided it was too old so I'm compiling all the pics into this one since the camera crapped out and I couldn't post the cooked pics last night. We did a marinade inspired by Phrasty consisting of EVOO, Garlic, Rosemary, Celery Seed, Sea Salt and a minced Red Jalapeno (Left the seeds and stuff in for extra heat). Morter and pestled the ingredients for the leg, vacuu sucked and into the fridge overnight. The sides were grilled asparagus (Just coated with olive oil and S & P) and kettle roasted Yukon Golds also coated in olive oil. Fired up the kettle with Jack Daniels charcoal briquettes that had oak whiskey barrel staves cubes mixed in and dialed it to 300~325 (There were high winds and tornado watches and lotsa rain which is why I didn't take any pit pics) til the roast hit 130 (132 by the time I got it off) at which time the taters were done too. Let it rest then sliced and served. This leg was some of the best meat we've ever had and I liked it as much as prime rib, if not more so. :becky:

Anyhow, here's the pics:

Leg and marinade

lamb.jpg

In the vacuum bag
lamb3.jpg

lamb2.jpg

ready to grill

ready-1.jpg

ready1.jpg

Fuel for the pit and the cook

fuel.jpg

libation.jpg

Off and resting

roast.jpg

Sliced with the sides on a platter - kinda blurry but then so was I

sliced-2.jpg

Oh, Redhot got a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake too. Praline. :thumb:

cake.jpg

Glenfiddich 12 is a good addition to any recipe! A well-marinated chef does wonders for most meats:-D Good lookin' lamb.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1624010 said:
I have never tried Lamb but that sure looks good. I have had Ice Cream cake and Redhot did good!

Terry, you've GOT to try lamb. I was a sceptic and now I'm a believer. The trick at least on the cuts we've tried is to stick to simple on the rubs/marinades and medium rare on the doneness. It's better than steak.

Now that is one good looking chunk of lamb. Lamb has so much flavor! I can't believe that people don't like it. I could argue that it is better than beef but I might get shot or something, but I would put a lamb loin chop up against a Porterhouse in a taste contest anyday.

Good show!

Now that is one good looking chunk of lamb. Lamb has so much flavor! I can't believe that people don't like it. I could argue that it is better than beef but I might get shot or something, but I would put a lamb loin chop up against a Porterhouse in a taste contest anyday.

Good show!

Marty, I'm with you, I say lamb over beef any day! No question here... Beef IS up there though. lamb's such a great meat! Seasoned properly, it's cravingly good!

Guerry, I'm honored you thought of me when trying lamb for the first time and on your birthday to boot! :thumb::clap2: And most of all I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Well, once again happy birthday my brother and I hope you have many more happy returns!

Cheers!

Oh yeah, and with a plate like this, I hope you left some for Red! :wink:
sliced-2.jpg

Aw heck, It's your birthday, do as you wish! :heh:

Yummmm boy!!!
Excellent looking meal!
BuPhul colour on them asparagus right there!
And yeah...lamb rules bigtime!:cool:

Yummmm boy!!!
Excellent looking meal!
BuPhul colour on them asparagus right there!
And yeah...lamb rules bigtime!:cool:

Thanks Phubes! I made the wise decision to let Redhot do the asparagus. I usually let it get too wilted with little black places because I forget to watch it.:rolleyes:

Inspirational cook there G. Really going to have to try some lamb now. Sounds like ya had fun on your B-day.

That is one perfectly cooked leg of lamb! Dang that looks good:clap2:

Guerry, I'm honored you thought of me when trying lamb for the first time

Phrasty, I found your pron and recipe and made my first roast with your guidance too this week. It was VERY tasty, but it looked like Kindergarten artwork compared to the beauty of Deguerre. Thanks for the help.

Mine tasted great, but I took mine off at 140. Next time it will be 130 and hopefully it will look like the masterpiece you have pictured here. Wow, that looks so yummy! You did a great job. Isn't it a great recipe? It is sooo easy!
Thanks to Phrasty!

Back