Uncooked, Raw Meat?

As an MCBJ, I've had or seen at my table an instance of an undercooked rib entry when all the others from the same box were fine. It happened to my again a week ago. My bite was fairly chewy and need a good tug to get the bite free. Looking at my bite mark, nothing came off the bone at all. I gave 5 and 5 on T and T. Other judges had great ribs from the same entry. It does happen so quit whining and focus your energy on perfecting your ribs!

Nice to know that there's one MCBJ that knows the difference between 5 and 2.:doh:

I hate that man, i highly doubt it was under cooked but unfortunately in the end it's up to the judge. Good luck next time!

From what the reps told me, the judge refused to eat it because they thought it was raw...there is no test for ribs like there is with chicken. They said the only thing the judge could do was put a 2.

We are not beating ourselves up....we know it was cooked. Those 6 ribs were from the same rack and all in a row. It's not like we mixed & matched different racks.

We did get a comment card, which is when we saw the comment but did not get a visit from the reps. We tracked down the reps and they explained the judge refused to try it.

Next time, we'll just sauce up the sides.....then they gotta at least take a bite!! :loco:

i could see if the judge bit it and said raw but just refusing to taste it does not sound right to me. after all the judge signed up for it. i say if a judge refuses then they disqualify themselves and as such disable themselves from making judgement and all nines should be given in such an event. i'm not sure but i think that is what is done if an entry is dropped by a judge.

Kindof hard to get pullback off the bone like that by grossly undercooking them -- just an observation -- That doesn't necessarily mean that a particular rib didn't leave something to be desired. I've seen the crazy score on brisket where I got all 9 and 8's and a 1 score on one. It was a mistake and had to be re input post contest! Stuff happens

Clark

Something is wrong with that particular contest. It is great for Sacramento to get a Sam's qualifier, but the judging is historically low and this makes you scratch your head harder.

Did you have smoke ring all the way through the rib, so it looked completely pink on the edge? Maybe the judge confused that for raw.

As an MCBJ, I've had or seen at my table an instance of an undercooked rib entry when all the others from the same box were fine. It happened to my again a week ago. My bite was fairly chewy and need a good tug to get the bite free. Looking at my bite mark, nothing came off the bone at all. I gave 5 and 5 on T and T. Other judges had great ribs from the same entry. It does happen so quit whining and focus your energy on perfecting your ribs!
big diiference between calling "raw" vrs not cooked till tender..I have had some pork ribs that were really pink..however this one judge should be looked at

We did get a comment card, which is when we saw the comment but did not get a visit from the reps. We tracked down the reps and they explained the judge refused to try it.

This dont sound right at all. Isnt there only 30 teams at the Sam's event? I have seen reps going around talking to teams and/or explaining weird scores at bigger events but in this case where there is such a discrepancy the team has to track down the reps??

I have also seen reps go to new teams after events to ask how things were and did they understand the scoring etc. But it seems in this case that wasnt done either.

reps, judge and table captain should have a talking to, that is crazy and uncalled for. BBQ is too expensive for that to happen to anyone

I just cooked a CBJ class and nothing will ever surprise me again. 75-80% of the class was awesome, open to learn and positive about what was happening. The other 20-25%, scared the fark out of me. Pessimist in nature doesn't make for fair judging. One guy in particular made it seem as though I put Arby's in front of him after a life at Morton's.

If an experienced CBJ is confusing a smoke ring for raw meat then they have no business sitting at a judging table ever!

I seriously doubt that was an experienced CBJ. It's pretty clear that anybody who looked at one of those ribs and refused to eat it because they thought it was raw meat has no business sitting at a judging table, period.

Great looking box. From the looks of the ribs i have a hard time believing any of them were raw. Hope it does not take away from your enjoyment of competition cooking. Keith

I've cooked the Sam's event since it's inception. I have noticed that the only consistent thing about the judging is "It has gotten inconsistent" over the years with this year by far the worse. The only reason I belonged to KCBS was because of the Sam's event but after this year, I have chosen not to renew, that way I won't be tempted to enter it again. If, by chance, they change the reps to ones who are more cooker concentric, I may reconsider.

Based on what I have read, the Rep. told the team that the judge did not taste the rib. Based on the box shown, it would be hard for me to say a rib was raw without at least trying to bite into it. However, I have copied the Rep Advisory regarding uncooked meat and it looks like a judge doesn't have to taste something to declare it undercooked or raw.

Under Cooked Meat
Question: Uncooked meat doesn’t seem to violate any rules. How do you score
an entry if a judge refuses to eat their sample because it is undercooked?
Opinion:
Under cooked meat poses a health problem and shouldn’t be eaten. A score of two (2) through nine (9) should be given for taste and tenderness by the judge(s) who refuse to eat the entry. This is not a disqualification and therefore should not be given a one (1). Assuming the entry has already been scored for appearance, do not go back and change the score given for appearance.

Thanks!! We knew we were entering a stacked field of competitors. Getting a call was a huge confidence booster. Being our first 4 meat contest, we learned so much. No matter how prepared you think you are, you can never simulate the real thing. The pouring rain from 8AM on was a bit of a challenge but it was the same for everybody.

Can't wait to try again!

One interesting thing I found from reviewing the scores....the top 5 in ribs all came from the same table. Sounded strange to me. From looking at all the scores, it seems it was a hot table for all meats. I've heard of the table of death but it almost looked like it was 4 cold tables and one hot table. That one table had 1-2 in chicken, 1-2-3-4-5 in ribs, 3rd in pork, 3-4 in brisket. And of course, none of our 4 entries hit that table!! :doh:

Can you tell us what this judges average was for the day?

One interesting thing I found from reviewing the scores....the top 5 in ribs all came from the same table. Sounded strange to me. From looking at all the scores, it seems it was a hot table for all meats. I've heard of the table of death but it almost looked like it was 4 cold tables and one hot table. That one table had 1-2 in chicken, 1-2-3-4-5 in ribs, 3rd in pork, 3-4 in brisket. And of course, none of our 4 entries hit that table!! :doh:

It was a strange day for ribs. We cooked this same event and had the high score at our table, which was good enough for 19th place in a field of 29. We didn't hit the "hot" table either...

I know at least one judge at this event who boasts about disqualifying entries...and I'm sure there's more than one judge who enjoys being more important than the cooks. Sometimes you just gotta shake your head, bite your lip, and move on...

Back