cornish game hens

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a couple of cornish game hens to try out. I've never cooked them before but best way to smoke them? Brine for how long? I normally do my chicken in the 300 range after at least a couple hr brine time. How much different does it taste than regular chicken.

Flavors a little different, but pretty close, I mean it's poultry right? As small as they are a 1-2 hour brine should do it, then cook hot and fast at 350-375 to IT of 160, shouldn't take long.

I cook them just like chicken.

It's actually an 4-5 week old hybrid chicken bred to have a large breast. If they grow beyond that they are unable to walk due to the over-sized breast. We used to butcher ours at 6 weeks to get beyond the 3lb size.

Here's a good simple recipe, with a how-to video.

4-Layer Barbecued Game Hens

CornishGameHens_1_1.jpg

John

Well I didn't login soon enough to see your tutorial Patio but will consider it for next time.

I smoked them on my weber grill at 300 w/ some cherry chips & B&B lump for 2.5hrs. I brined them in a brine similar to Diva Q citrus brine for 3 hrs then washed/dried/let sit for about 1 hr before seasoning w/ a rub. They came out ok but were on the tough side but temp wise were 160's/180's. Is the toughness due to not brined long enough or just the way the CGH are? The diva Q brine can be done overnight but I normally do several hrs even on breasts but thought that might be too long for a CGH. The dog liked the leftovers so there was one fan of them but then she'd give all 10's to anything set down for her.

I was going more by meat temp than time it took from some diff google recipes I'd found googling, it just took that time to reach the 160/180. Well at least the dog ate a good meal so it wasn't a big loss

I did Cornish Hens for Christmas and I cooked 4 of them , it only took about 1 hour and fifteen minutes at 350. I brined mine over night, so they were ridiculously juicy.

Back