Redundant ribs (pron)

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
So, I have been craving ribs but my weekends have been totally absorbed for the past month. Today, my wife was scheduled to go to the local Dominican sisters' retreat center with her fellow Stephen ministers from our church. She gave me strict orders to get my hair cut when she left. Leaving the barber shop I had to drive by the supermarket where our son-in-law is the manager so I stoppped in and picked up two racks of spares, figuring I'd surprise her with dinner when she got home. This was my first try with 2 -2 -1 ribs and they came out satisfactory. When she got home I proudly displayed my accomplishment and her first comment was "Guess what we had for lunch." Yep, the nuns served them ribs. I guess mine will have to wait until Sunday lunch. :noidea:

(I tried one and it is melt in your mouth tender.)

Attachments

• RIBS_032412.jpg
    RIBS_032412.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 110
They appear to be real good, but I haven't had a chance to really evaluate them except the bones started falling out when I picked them up. The ony thing I'm not real excited about is they don't seem to have any bark. Maybe I kept them in the foil too long. I'll let you know once I get to tuck into them tomorrow. Like I said, this is my first try using foil and I don't want to get too worked up yet.

Next time lose the foil, you really don't need it. The reason your bones were falling out is because you boiled the ribs in the foil. Cook them without foil and you'll wonder why you ever thought you needed it in the first place. You don't.

I have never used foil before today, but this new offset I bought seems to cook everything way too quick on the outside (translation - the ribs get too crusty on the outside before they get up to temp on the inside). So I thought I would give the 2/2/1 method favored by many Brethren a try. I think I went overboard on the time in the foil, essentially boiling them in the beef broth. I don't mind a bit that some of the bones fell out, because the meat was not mushy, just very tender. I like my ribs with a little bit of stick to the bones character, but most consumers of BBQ seem to be impressed with the fall off the bone type. I am still learning to cook on this thing, so I thought I would experiment with foil for once.

Back