Cornell Chicken Cook

GVDub

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cornell Chicken by George Van Wagner, on Flickr

I need to find tongs that don't tear the skin quite so easily when I'm flipping chicken. Any suggestions?

While I'm at it, I think I need a new cooker. Surprisingly, considering how many air leaks this thing has, I was able to keep the grate temp between 260° and 300‡ for the 75 minutes of cooking time.

Cornell Chicken by George Van Wagner, on Flickr

The cooker looks long in the tooth, but that chicken is looking good.

Use a spatula to flip those quarters - it won't tear the skin.

Last edited:
Chicken looks yummee! I bought some tongs at Wal-Mart that had one spatula side and a "pincher" side.Great for flipping burgers/ chicken,etc.

Very nice looking. I grill Cornell chicken a lot and use the big Weber tongs you can buy at Ace.
Are you mopping with the marinade until the last 10 minutes?

I've been curious about these for a while - wouldn't it tear the skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just hook the end of the piece where there's no skin. I use one for chicken thighs, never have issues with the skin.

Last edited:
Very nice looking. I grill Cornell chicken a lot and use the big Weber tongs you can buy at Ace.
Are you mopping with the marinade until the last 10 minutes?

Yes, and I always finish skin side up so the final mop sets as a sort of glaze. I hadn’t made this in decades, and my wife had never had Cornell chicken before last night. She’s now a fan, observing that, unlike some heavier sauces and mops, the Cornell method really requires quality meat to be its best, from a bird that’s had time to develop some flavor, rather than the immature blandness of the typical fryer you find in the mega-mart.

Here in L.A., we’ve got a few good live poultry markets near us, and now I’m dying to do it again, with freshly dressed birds.

good lookin bird! I second the pigtail food flipper. It's much better than tongs because it's nearly impossible to drop the meat. even if you pierce the skin you also pierce the meat so the skin doesn't move. The reason tongs ruin the skin is 1. because the amount of surface area that has to touch the meat to move it is high and 2. you're holding the skin and not the meat and there is movement between the two causing it to slide.

the gut reaction is that poking holes in your meat will lose the juices. Personally I don't see a difference at all and I've been using one for years. Once I got it I wondered why I waited so long.

Back