• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO DO PORK BUTTS?

I have had a number of butts stick " Hang at a certain temp and not continue to increase in temp" for an hour or so. I don't go by the time per pound rule. You have to treat each butt differently and go with internal temps as opposed to time. I cook mine at 210-230 and take it to about 190 and cooler if done early. In comps I will cook no less tha 3 butts to get the best flavor advantage and try to get some slices if I can. I do inject but do not spritz.

Spice

Wouldn't the temps in the meat really determine the plan of action? I take butts to 195, foil and pull at 205. Maybe a bit too high but damn they are juicy and tender. No injectates, just a rub and foil. Scott

After I have applied rub to my butt, I will place it in a disposable aluminum pan then cook (I smoke just about everything at 225) it that way until an internal temp of 200 is achieved, it will normally take all night. Then once I have that temp, I will pour all of the grease/liquids from the pan (there will be a bunch) and I will then wrap with foil or just place foil over the pan, I will then place in cooler until ready to pull/serve. Some folks will reapply the rubs at some point during the cook or just prior to foiling, that will be your call. Also if you use the aluminum pan you can pour out the grease and add some apple juice prior to letting rest in the cooler.

After I have applied rub to my butt, I will place it in a disposable aluminum pan then cook (I smoke just about everything at 225) it that way until an internal temp of 200 is achieved, it will normally take all night. Then once I have that temp, I will pour all of the grease/liquids from the pan (there will be a bunch) and I will then wrap with foil or just place foil over the pan, I will then place in cooler until ready to pull/serve. Some folks will reapply the rubs at some point during the cook or just prior to foiling, that will be your call. Also if you use the aluminum pan you can pour out the grease and add some apple juice prior to letting rest in the cooler.

Tony,
Do you discard all the juices?

Yes I do, it will sometimes be up to the brim of the aluminum pan. If I do not use a pan, it works good too, but you tend to get a bunch of grease in the bottom of the smoker. The meat will still be incredibly moist. That said, I use a Stumps cooker. I would imagine that with a stick burner, the end product will be somewhat drier.

Yes I do, it will sometimes be up to the brim of the aluminum pan. If I do not use a pan, it works good too, but you tend to get a bunch of grease in the bottom of the smoker. The meat will still be incredibly moist. That said, I use a Stumps cooker. I would imagine that with a stick burner, the end product will be somewhat drier.

I have never tried a pan before. Usually put the butts on top as a baster, or on top of the water pan. Thanks for replying so fast.

Why can't you cook at a lower temperature?

I have just found that on my weber kettle that it is hard to keep the temps below 275 or 300, unless I want to be opening the lid and adding pieces of charcoal every 20 min.
My plan is to start with 20 pieces of rancher lit in the chimney, add a 1 or 2 small pieces of smoke wood, let the smoek settle for a bit then put the butt on. Then monitor internal temp of meat and temp of cook area, I will shoot for the lowest temp possible but it seems hard to get below 275.
Maybe if I use the minion method, say 20-25 pieces of unlit rancher and add 10 pieces of lit rancher and a wood chunk or 2.

I do the same thing! Pan is filled to the brim and I am burning sticks.

I have just found that on my weber kettle that it is hard to keep the temps below 275 or 300, unless I want to be opening the lid and adding pieces of charcoal every 20 min.
My plan is to start with 20 pieces of rancher lit in the chimney, add a 1 or 2 small pieces of smoke wood, let the smoek settle for a bit then put the butt on. Then monitor internal temp of meat and temp of cook area, I will shoot for the lowest temp possible but it seems hard to get below 275.
Maybe if I use the minion method, say 20-25 pieces of unlit rancher and add 10 pieces of lit rancher and a wood chunk or 2.

There is the problem!! Too much lit charcoal at one time. The minion method is your friend!

There is the problem!! Too much lit charcoal at one time. The minion method is your friend!

Ok Mista, so use the minion method and I should be able to keep the temps lower?

My idea of the minion method: Set 20-25 unlit pieces of charcoal on the edge of the kettle, then lite 5-8 pieces and add to the unlit along with my chunk or chunks of wood. Wait 15 -20 min, then put the butt on?
Does this sound about right? Is my lit to unlit charcoal ratio ok? Thanks

Tony, Is this ok to do when cooking on a kettle? I usually use a water pan next to the coals under the meat, would this still work?

Definitely, Just be sure to go offset. I think that the Weber Kettle gives one of the best flavors out there. Unfortunately, they require you to add charcoal throughout the cook. I personally think that the kettle cooks the best chicken out there in competitions. I haven't prepared pork butt with mine yet, perhaps I will try it this weekend. I bought a case of pork butts a month or so ago. I paid .79 lB, not a bad deal. Hard to not use the Stumps though, love to set it and forget it.

Definitely, Just be sure to go offset. I think that the Weber Kettle gives one of the best flavors out there. Unfortunately, they require you to add charcoal throughout the cook. I personally think that the kettle cooks the best chicken out there in competitions. I haven't prepared pork butt with mine yet, perhaps I will try it this weekend. I bought a case of pork butts a month or so ago. I paid .79 lB, not a bad deal. Hard to not use the Stumps though, love to set it and forget it.

Wow that is a good deal on the butts, I paid 1.44 per lb at Sams. I'm excited to see how it turns out on the kettle, I'll let you know next week.

This butt conversation has me regretting the decision to pass on the 12#er I saw at the big box store today. Dad gum, I'll get it next time. Fatty for the first cook though, can't wait.

Got so hungry reading...at 1:30 in the morning, that I went to a local 24 hour grocery, bought a butt, prep tonight, smoker first thing in the morning. I love this site.

Everything I read sounded good.

Also, you can use a Water Pan While you are Smoking the Meat.
You can mix Apple Juice and/or Pineapple Juice and/or Cherry Juice together, then mix the Juice 50/50 with Pepsi Cola, Liquid Mixture.
Doing this will keep the Meat More Moist and Add a Nice Sweey Flavor to the Juicy Meat.
You can also add some of this same Liquid Mixture to the Meat Before you Foil it at 160 or 170 and put it back in the Smoker to bring it up to 180 or 190.

One thing I failed to mention when I talked about the Juices.
Pineapple Juice is a Natural Meat Tenderizer.
Pineapple Juice is best when mixed 50/50 with Apple Juice, then add a little a little Cherry Juice. Then mix the Juice Mixture 50/50 with Pepsi Cola to make the Liquid Mixture.

Holy Resurrected Thread, Batman! :-D

I wonder what happened to Eric (Ciret)... He hasn't visited us in a while (last visit was in March).

Back