Biscuits

S

Smoker

How long do the biscuits take to cook at around 220 degrees?

Like we do at the comps?? Doughboys biscuits take about 40 mins but the require mini fatties above them and dripping on them. :)

Sort of off topic, but i found a readily available 'frozen biscuit' that actually tastes (and textures) very good. They can be taken from the resealable bag and cooked one at a time if you really wanted: "Pillsbury Homestyle Frozen Biscuits ". Be sure to get the homestyle kind, not the 12 layer or other strange kind. If not on sale, they are pricey. (I am not pretending these are the best biscuits in the world, but they are the easiest, and they are better even than most restaurant biscuits.)

On topic, I have no idea if/how that would cook at 220. They take about 16 minutes at 350-375.

i use the pillsbury Grandmas style biscuits. Both flakey and layered ones. I prefer the layered(easier to make a sammich), but both turn out wel. Also, i buy them on sale in bulk and freeze them. They defrost fine and cook up in the smokers great.

gotta know where to put them in the chamber. We do it every morning at the competitions and i cookem right there with the ribs @ 225. A Baffled Bandera, bottom shelves, left side where the heat comes out from under the waterpan. Done in 40-50 minutes. Rotate once.

BBQchef33 said:
i use the pillsbury Grandmas style biscuits. Both flakey and layered ones. I prefer the layered(easier to make a sammich), but both turn out wel. Also, i buy them on sale in bulk and freeze them. They defrost fine and cook up in the smokers great.

And for clarity, the pilsbury kind I am referringf to are already frozen, sold in a zipper bag, and in individual pieces. No thawing before baking (at 375...).

G$ said:
Sort of off topic, but i found a readily available 'frozen biscuit' that actually tastes (and textures) very good. They can be taken from the resealable bag and cooked one at a time if you really wanted: "Pillsbury Homestyle Frozen Biscuits ". Be sure to get the homestyle kind, not the 12 layer or other strange kind. If not on sale, they are pricey. (I am not pretending these are the best biscuits in the world, but they are the easiest, and they are better even than most restaurant biscuits.)

On topic, I have no idea if/how that would cook at 220. They take about 16 minutes at 350-375.

When we cooked for the troops at Ft. Riley a few weeks ago, we cooked those Pillsbury Homestyle Frozen Biscuits in the offset. We were cooking at about 250, but I have an upper shelf for times when we are behind. We put the biscuits in a full size disposable steam pan up there in a way that when baked, the edges all touched. I think it took about 30 - 40 minutes. I don't know the temp of that shelf, but I'd say it's about 325. They turned out great! I would think it could take up to an hour to cook them at 220 grate temp. I'd think they would take on a lot of smoke.

Let us know how they turn out.

Back