UDS Grease catch tray?

DaveT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone use a grease catch tray with their UDS? I have only used my new UDS smoker twice now. Once with pork butt and once with brisket. I am not sure yet about the grease dripping in the fire. I am thinking about trying a cook with some kind of catch tray for the gease. Any ideas or thoughts?

Don't know about a drip tray, I have cooked on mine a ton and I dig the flavor that comes with the drippings going into the fire. But thats just me and I could be just a little strange... who knows...:icon_smil

Isn't that what creates all the flavor?
I love those drippings in the fire.:p

I built a UDS for Big Brother Loins and he isn't keen on the fat dripping. i incorporated this when I built his and he uses it to catch grease.
IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

Don't know about a drip tray, I have cooked on mine a ton and I dig the flavor that comes with the drippings going into the fire. But thats just me and I could be just a little strange... who knows...:icon_smil

I don't thing think you would be strange. I know that the grease dripping flavor is one thing that is unique about the UDS. And I have read a lot of favorable post about the taste. I am not sure why, I just thought there was something a little off with the taste. My wife said she thought the PB was the best she ever had. Just wondering if anyone else has ever not liked the grease dripping flavor.

It was a wok. You can see where I chewed the handle off. Not my best work.
My idea was a heat diffuser/water pan. I like double smoking those costco spiral sliced hams. I add a pan of apple juice and run hotter and think it adds flavor. You can smell the apple juice a long way. Between that and 50/50 jack/applejuice spritz. I'm happy.

I thought that looked like a wok. I would say that some of your worst work would look better that most. I think it looks pretty good!

Back