• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole RIB EYE for $1.71/lb!!!! What to do with it?

Prime rib is just a saying. Rib eye and prime rib are the same thing. A Ribeye is when you cut it into steaks before cooking and prime rib is a ribeye that is sliced after cooking.

Go and age that thing! Will taste delicious after 4 weeks :becky:

A prime rib is a prime grade rib roast. If it's not prime grade, it's a rib roast. If cut into steaks they're rib eyes (grade not being a factor then).

Heck of a score. If you really don't know what to do with it, I'll pm you my address lol.

Oh and for anyone else reading this, don't be "the guy" who says "how can it be prime rib when it's only choice grade?" :caked:

Prime rib is just a saying. Rib eye and prime rib are the same thing. A Ribeye is when you cut it into steaks before cooking and prime rib is a ribeye that is sliced after cooking.

Go and age that thing! Will taste delicious after 4 weeks :becky:

A prime rib is a prime grade rib roast. If it's not prime grade, it's a rib roast. If cut into steaks they're rib eyes (grade not being a factor then).
Not quite true.

Prime Rib is a specific section of the rib primal, it refers to a roast from the 6th to 12th rib bones of the rib primal. It generally includes the bones. Hence, the definition of a Ribeye Roast, where the bones are removed, along with the deckle. Or the boneless Rib Roast, where the bones are removed.

A rib chop is the rib steak cut from the Prime Rib, with the bone attached. The rib steak is a steak, same location, but, no done attached. A ribeye, is the rib steak with the deckle and tail removed.

The name Prime Rib predates the USDA grading system, and has no reference to the grading of Prime. It is a grandfathered term, and it actually the only term that is still allowed to be used with a grade mark in it. In truth, it was considered the prime cut of the rib roast. Hence Prime Rib Roast.

Hmm....I was told the Gov't recently came up with new standards when it comes to how things are named.
For instance, there won't be any more "pork butts" on the grocery shelves, they'll be called "Boston Butts".

If this is true, I hope it leads to accuracy and less confusion with what were buying (at least those of us that do treat this as a career).

Let me say usually i am a pretty honest guy, but I kept my mouth shut when i saw a mislabel on this amazing cut of meat.

That is all :D

Remember, what goes around comes around.

I'm surprised at some of the responses that are in this thread...

It may have been discounted.
We try to hit Sams on Monday morn. and have found some great deals on meat. I am lucky and have a business membership so I get earlier than the regular members and head straight to the meat coolers.

I just came from my local grocery store a couple hours ago. They had really low grade select ribeye steaks for $11.99/lb. They had almost zero marbling. When the store is gonna bend me over like that for poor quality meat, I won't think twice about grabbing up something that is mislabled to my advantage.

The OP knew something was up or the following statement would have never been typed:
Let me say usually i am a pretty honest guy, but I kept my mouth shut when i saw a mislabel on this amazing cut of meat.

Not passing judgment Bob, just being a voice of opposition ; )

I'm with you 4ever3.......I couldn't enjoy a single bite. Not trying to judge, But I've been on the other end of that great deal.

KC

Smear on yellow mustard. Rub your favourite beef rub. Leave a couple of hours.
Cook at 180F pull at 120F. Stand covered lightly for around one hour. It will take 6 + hours to cook. Enjoy.

John

Smear on yellow mustard. Rub your favourite beef rub. Leave a couple of hours.
Cook at 180F pull at 120F. Stand covered lightly for around one hour. It will take 6 + hours to cook. Enjoy.

John
dont know if this would fly around these parts..maybe I will try some day though..

Back