Cast Iron Skillet Chicago Style Double Meat Pizza

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Those that know me well around here know how fond I am of pizza. I'm also not a pizza snob - I love all kinds of pizza, from thin Neapolitan, NY Style, Deep Dish Sicilian, and of course, Chicago style.

Since the weather has cooled, I thought a different take on Chicago Deep Dish would be in order, and why not do it on the charcoal grill with extra helpings of two kinds of meat?

A little while before we began working with the dough, I fired up the Kingsford Oval up for both sides indirect:

DSC_1724.jpg

DSC_1723.jpg

Luckily, the Oval registered a perfect 400 degrees when I put the coals on - the ideal temp to cook a deep dish pizza!

Meanwhile, we worked on dough prep - here's the dough ready to shape:

DSC_1727.jpg

And with toppings at the ready:

DSC_1725.jpg

Now into the cast iron skillet after a bit of hand stretching:

DSC_1728.jpg

Next, we added slices of thin Provolone cheese:

DSC_1730.jpg

After adding a massive layer of shredded Mozz, we added some sauteed sweet Italian sausage:

DSC_1732.jpg

Next, to double the meat effect, a layer of Italian Salami:

DSC_1733.jpg

Next, the traditional tomato mixture, which consisted of San Marzano whole tomatoes, fresh garlic, and olive oil:

DSC_1734.jpg

Just a bit of extra Mozzarella and oregano for good measure, followed by a good sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan :

DSC_1735.jpg

DSC_1736.jpg

At this point, the pizza went on the grill:

DSC_1738.jpg

About 27 minutes later, this is how it came out:

DSC_1746.jpg

Sliced:

DSC_1752.jpg

It was off the hook delish!

That looks fantastic, going to have to try this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I hate you. I'm craving some of that. Pass a couple slices this way. I think I can even smell the garlic.

This thread makes me angry Moose. Angry that I don't have any of that pie in front of me. Fark that looks good. :thumb:

That pie looks outstanding! What size skillet did you use? I tried to spy it in the pics but couldn't make it out. Worn out skillet size number is a great indication that you have gotten a lot of use out of it!

That pie looks outstanding! What size skillet did you use? I tried to spy it in the pics but couldn't make it out. Worn out skillet size number is a great indication that you have gotten a lot of use out of it!

That was a ten inch pan - two slices of which were an entire meal. Very hearty stuff!

Back