• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What comes first comp or school - redux

jaxbbq

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Some time back I asked the question about what to do first. Based on your input I descided to enter a comp. Boots N BBq in Starke, FL.:crazy: I hedged my bet by signing up for Bill Anderson's Barbecue coach. There was a thread about that last week. I watched Bill's videos, used his recommendations for sauce, rub and brisket injection. Then used his time table to schedule the cook. I had practiced each meat individually but had not done a full comp cook. Without Bill's schedule I would have in big trouble. To include another thread in this shameless self plug I cooked on one Lang 84 by myself. That answers the question can everything be cooked on one cooker and be done by one person. Now for the unabashed tooting of my own horn. Placed #3 in brisket, #4 in chicken, #7 in butt, and 14th in ribs. Those scores earned a grand champion trophy. Not to blow too much smoke I have to say it was in the backyard division.:icon_blush: So if you are reading this and thinking about entering a comp. DO IT!!! The people you will meet and the fun that you will have (when its over) are experiences that you might as well enjoy. Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. What I learned here and from Bill's videos along with the encouragement received here got me off the dime and into competition. Problem is now I am really hooked.:doh:

Congrats! Great job! Look forward to seeing you on the FBA circuit!

Jax, way to go. A GC in your 1st go round. Your'e a lost soul now!!!!!!

Mark

I think they give the newest guy in any backyard comp a trophy or two, then get you hooked and on the juice. Another one addicted.

Congrats on the GC! Backyard or not, that's a great accomplishment! Of course, now you HAVE to enter the pro division :-D

congrats!!! sounds like the videos helped out!!
The videos were money well spent. I considered taking a hands on class because of the interaction. I will probably still take a class, however the videos allow me to repeat steps as many times as i need to get the info through my thick skull.

Congrats! GC is GC in backyard or pro. (Unless you were only competing against yourself...)

Back